Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLS-Class model:

Outstanding Craftsmanship, a Gem, Instant classic
By JR Cross

2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan CLS550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I was looking for a V8 E-class when I found this car. I happened to come across it at the right price, so I took it for a test drive. I've seen this car for years and never thought I could afford one but after a couple of minutes it was a done deal. I previously owned a Volvo s60R and was all about turbo charging, but this 5.5 liter V8 has power on tap at any given moment. My vehicle has the optional AMG exhaust which has the meatiest sound on the market. It scares other drivers at full chap which is awesome. A 4.6sec 0-60 is spectacular for a vehicle of this size, at this price point. The hydraulic steering is also meaty, very well assisted but not lite. I recently drove a 2016 C300 and was surprised how woeful the electric steering was, very inconsistent assist at varying speed in slow turns. In Sport mode the chassis stiffen and you can get the car to predictably slide all 4 tires around a corner, inspiring confidence. The transmission is a little slow, but the more you drive it aggressively in manual mode, the quicker it becomes. It's just a little aggressive to get to overdrive, and downshifting can feel like turbo-lag if you haven't been driving the car hard. Still shifts are very smooth. It's also very awesome that downshift can skip gears, basically it can downshift from 5th-3rd without having to sequentially go through 4th. Make sure the transmission is in Standard mode and not Comfort mode if you want performance. Comfort mode always starts the car in 2nd. I found that out and had to get pain-killers for my neck pain. :) Parking assistance is a must if you live in the city, like I do, and have a smaller garage. The visibility can be an issue with the low roof. People talk about the entertainment center being dated, which it is, but it's very clear and I can operate it easily while driving. There is no comparison when it comes to the quality of material, but the lighter interior colors will require maintenance. I have the Cashmere interior and the steering wheel color started to wear off. I order leather color from Leather World and fixed it perfectly. The air suspension is simply wonderful and makes this car drive different from any Mercedes that has a conventional coil-over spring setup (my back started hurting when driving a CLA, and the C-class felt a little unrefined). As far as maintenance, I do a lot of my own work and the car is remarkably simple to work on, I can do an oil change in 15 minutes. When I had to take the car to the dealer for front brakes because the caliber pins were frozen and I couldn't do it myself, they only charged me $686 for pads, rotors, and new sensors. To put that into perspective, my brother-in-law has a 2015 Taurus that his dealership charged $800 for rear brakes. The car is really just a solid brick down the road. I love it to death and although I'm very much a car guy, I just can't find anything to replace it with. All hale the 5.5 naturally aspirated engine. Here is a review of my car - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QfJhAVyuOQ

Love this 2009 CLS550C!
By Mike

2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan CLS550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This is our first MB....but not our last!
What a great car!! Style, looks!!!!
Everything is good except getting in and out, but I will sacrifice that for the
Roofline and stealth handling.
Very comfortable car!
Drove to Chicago from our home in Phoenix...loved every mile!!!!
I am now looking to purchase another one. A CLS63 AMG.....
Great bang for the buck!
This car doesn't take a backseat to any BMW, or otherwise!!

Fine, fine machine!
By gw9

2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan CLS550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Have only had it 2 weeks but I am smitten.
Muscular agressive stance.
Swooping lines make the car look like its going fast even when its
standing still.
Start the engine and hear / feel the 400 hp wanting to lurch forward.
Superb performance all round.
Throttle, steering and brakes are so finely tuned you can pick any point on the road and PUT the car right where you want it.
Technology is highly advanced, and much easier to use than BMW's "iDrive".
It handles much better than a BMW 5 series and the sound proofing is much better as well.
My wife rode in the back seat of the BMW 5 series and this Benz was hands down the more comfy quiet ride.

Everything! Takes a lot of restraint to keep the car within the speed limit. At 100 MPH the car feels like it wants a lot more. That's all I have to say on that subject. I look for reasons to take the car out. Conversation frequently heard at our house: Me: "I think we might be low on milk...". My Wife: "This is the third time today you have been to the grocery store..."

I don't use the ash tray (no smoking, drinks or food in this car) but the ash tray door sticks a bit. Dealer can't seem to work out the kink. Not a big deal,if this is the only thing that I think can use improvement it's a Great Car! Not a suggestion for improvement but rather a note to those who may not know: This is a 4 door coupe and real drivers car. Not a soccer mom SUV so don't expect a cushy mushy feel or creature comforts like the back up camera display on the dash or DVD screen for back seat passengers. The joy of this car is the driving experience. Passengers will love being in the car as well.

Definitely a Home Run
By Jeff McKechnie

2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan CLS550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This car was everything I had hoped it to be. Very luxurious interior and exterior styling to die for. I have never had a car that drew so many positive comments. Women seem to love the styling. Performance for such a heavy car is amazing and really does push you back in your seat. Gas mileage although not great is more than acceptable and I hit 27 mpg on the highway --not bad. Handling is good but would like to have had an AMG handling package as an option and a AMG exhaust which has an unbelievable sound. Only had one problem and that was the rear air suspension had to be replaced. Hopefully this is not a potential issue for this car. Overall I love this car.

Power,comfort, sound system, looks

Longer list of AMG options.

"BENZ BELIEVER"
By MB922

2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Sedan CLS550 4dr Sedan (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I purchased a silver 2008 CLS 550 w/ AMG sport package. The vehicle is excellent and is worth every penny of its 81k sticker price. I was first skeptical buying a MB over a BMW, but this vehicle has made me a "Benz Believer". 382 HP, heated and cooled seats, IPOD integration, Navigation, bluetooth, AMG appearance package, remote trunk, moonroof, leather w/ wood grain, sirius radio w/ 6 disc CD keyless go and much more. For those who want more HP opt for the CLS 63 AMG which has 507HP, but a sticker of 100k. The 5.5L V8 has plenty of HP power and torque. The CLS 550 is MB engineering and performance at its best. The vehicle takes a back seat to no BMW and is exciting to drive.

Performance, build quality, MB engineering, satellite radio, luxurious interior, AMG appearance and MPG for a V8 engine.

Bluetooth should be standard on this vehicle with a 81k sticker price. MB makes you purchase the adaptor for 500 dollars to connect the bluetooth pairing phones.