2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:
Great til something breaks!
By Brigittetolson on 03/08/10 14:33 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

When I first got Heidi (yes, I named my clk430 Heidi), I was in love. The way this car takes turns, accelerates, and performs overall is amazing. Then, at a mere 77,000 miles- stuff started to break...the convertible top computer went out all the time, and eventually died (1400$ part), the cats needed to be replaced (1000$)...then after all that, the trans started slipping...after getting multiple quotes to fix all the problems and replace the trans, I was looking at about 5000$ worth of repairs. I made the choice to trade her in for the Lamborghini inspired Toyota mr2 spyder. The opinion of many mechanics was that the clks trans tends to die at 80k miles. Way too soon in my opinion.

Rag top in the snow belt
By Skaneateles, NY on 06/28/08 18:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

A great year-round car. With snows on in winter drivability is excellent - we get 100" of snow a year. The top is very well insulated & quiet. On any sunny day above 55 degrees I have the top down. The wind screen does a great job of keeping the cabin serene and the heated seats keep you warm, that way you can focus on the excellent exhaust note. Mileage is good at 24MPG and 27MPG highway. This is a cruiser-not a sports car. Performance is adequate, not stellar. High speed cruising is addictive and one can blast to high speed and beyond without realizing it, even with the top down - It's that well designed. I targeted this car specifically over the new model as this one is designed by Bruno Sacco.

A great car to drive
By Carl C. on 03/31/08 11:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I've had convertibles for the last 30 years. This is by far the most fun to drive. The trunk is very small, but who cares. If you have golf clubs, throw them in the back seat. However, as other people have noted, the electrical systems leave a lot to be desired.

Bonnie's CLK
By BONNIE on 07/29/06 13:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Car seems to have tire or rim issues. Tires do not hold air on AMG type low profile rims.Top button and window buttons have issues. Ride is rough on long trips. Very hot with black top, seats, and exterior.

Profoundly Dissatisfied
By Tracy on 06/01/06 16:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This automobile is a mechanical nightmare. I have replaced: two catalytic converters, electric motor in drivers seat (2 times), pressure sensor in the fuel tank, CD changer, one motor mount and now it is having electrical problems with the braking system. However, I love the drive and the styling. Unfortunately, with all the problems the bloom is off of the rose!

Beautiful Car
By Nittany on 12/21/05 13:16 PM (PST)

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is easily the best car I've ever driven or owned. I drove evrything from 330cic's to Audi 4's, BMW 645, Saab, Volvo and nothing comes close to the ride, performance, driving experience and fun that this car has. Smooth as silk, but if you want acceleration it sure responds.

Excellent Drive ....Terrible Reliability
By catherine nicholas on 10/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

On performance I give it very high marks. However, mercedes cuts corners on quality. This is my second CLK. My first was plaqued with problems ranging from engine trouble (random stalling)to window failure. In fact, I couldn't sell it because mercedes couldn't not get the "check engine" light to go out. I was forced to trade it in. My second CLK has had one problem after another ranging from not starting, to seat controls, to air conditioning..the list goes on. The wood grain bleeds into the leather on the doors. Don't order the hands free phone. 50% of the time the car doesn't recognize the phone is plugged in and you are forced to pull over to reset the engine. Bad sound quality also

CLK 430 Cab Review
By Silver Cloud on 07/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Can't see out of car with top up. Too many blind spots. Would never buy another one. Seats uncomfortable.

clk430 convertible
By hellodi on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Great car...outstanding performance. Downside- blind spot, gas mileage, and small trunk.

What happened?
By hslmd on 04/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Just ask me for the list. Back to the dealer 12 of the first 18 months I had the car. Good thing it was a lease!!!