Used 2004 Mazda Tribute SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Tribute - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV

View reviews for a specific Tribute model:

I love my Tribute
By walker328

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this in September 2014, with about 96k miles on it. It has a few scrapes and a cracked rear bumper so I got it at a decent price. Evidently the one previous owner took excellent care of it (all scheduled maintenance performed), and it has run fine until this very rainy morning. Flashing engine light, weak acceleration, burning smell and chuggy movement led me straight to the repair shop. 3 out of 6 ignition coils and the spark plugs were just about spent causing it to misfire. Not a cheap repair due the intake manifold needing to be removed which is a pretty big deal. Plugs were due to be replaced anyway. All else looks good and now it's good to go for many more miles.

Favorite Features

Good amount of cargo space, peppy and good pick-up, split rear seats, lovely dark red color, stereo is nice and loud.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Tribute
By chicago2624

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my tribute over a year ago- with over 100k miles on it- a lot, I know, by I'm a poor college student! This was well worth the investment. I do all normal maintenance regularly And have had no major problems. It's really roomy, reliable, and safe! I love the 4WD in the winter! I am amazed at how smooth it drives. I do not have a garage to store it in unfortunately, but there have still been no issues- in the winter I. Let it warm up and it does great. The back storage is great, it seems like I'm always packing up. I would definitely recommend this car!

First SUV
By nanski50

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV LX-V6 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2004 Mazada Tribute used with 85.000 miles in early Oct. 2012. I decided to down size from my last vehicle which was a Crysler Town and Country mini van. I did alot of research and the Tribute kept coming out on top. This is a great little SUV. It is fun to drive, peepy, and gets mileage as advertised. It has no rattles and controls are easy to reach. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that my mini van did but I am enjoying it completely. I love my Tribute and plan to drive it for many years.

Favorite Features

It's easy to handle.

Suggested Improvements

Would love to have heated seats.

Disappointed with mileage and performance
By maskita

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used with 106K on the clock, now has 113K. We were attracted to the exterior styling and interior features of the 2004 Mazda Tribute. It gives a very stable and comfortable ride. I hate the poor air conditioning controls. When you select the A/C, you cannot select which vents (high or low) the air comes out of, unlike the Toyotas and Hondas that I am accustomed to. The V6 engine pulls fairly well at low speeds, but seems to have a difficult time maintaining 70 mph on some highway inclines. I expected better than 22 mpg from a modern Japanese vehicle of this size. Would not buy another one.

Favorite Features

Styling. Powered, heated seats. Curtesy lights. Extra, always powered, 12V outlet in console. Comfortable and stable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Copy Toyota / Honda airconditioning and ventilation controls. Improve gas mileage and performance. Transmission probably needs to be regeared to better match engine and vehicle weight.

Love my Tribute
By Love my Tribute

2004 Mazda Tribute SUV ES-V6 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd 2004 Tribute. The first one I traded for a Mazda 3 because of rising fuel costs back in 2005. I missed it so much that when I found another used 2004 within my price range, I bought it. It had 68,000 miles on it when I bought it and now has 95,000. The only thing that it's been in the shop for is recharging the AC. I love the way it rides and drives. I have a 20 mile commute to work and this past winter, when we had several bad snow storms, I didn't miss a day of work.

Favorite Features

Everything! I like the power seats and the 6 disk CD player. Plus there's a lot of cargo space for moving my kids into college.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. I only get an average of 20 MPG.