1990 Mazda RX-7 1.3L 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Love my RX-7

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL 2dr Hatchback

Love my RX-7
By allyrx7 on

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL 2dr Hatchback

I've had two now, and I've loved them both. The only serious repair concern involved losing compression in the engine. It's not a problem that will kill the car but it can be annoying the first time. What a ride. This car hugs the curves, loves the road, is fun to drive. Great on long trips, too. OK, so it doesn't have cup holders. So what. You need to keep both hands on the wheel to feel the excitement anyway. The oil-cooled engine is great in Southern climates (like mine) and when you regularly change the oil every 2500 - 300 miles, you have no worries.

Favorite Features

I love my sunroof, even though it added to the drag; love the pushbutton suspension; even love the cubby holes behind the car's seats. The curves of the body are sleek. The way the cockpit and the seat conspire to envelop you in the driving experience is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Install a block engine heater if you are in colder climates to avoid decompression. Keep a coat of wax on the car whenever possible--mine has the original paint, and no flecks.