Used 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Mx-5-miata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Not just a girls car... Street Legal GoKart!!!
By thewheelman1

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata for about a year now but have been racing miatas for about 5 years now and i would recommend these cars to anyone who wants a car you will never be bored of driving, outstanding reliability, the handling is matched with that of $100,000 cars, I have personally seen miatas smoke Z06 corvettes and Ferrari by half a mile on the road course, and by whole seconds on the Auto-X course. These little cars receive little respect from muscle car owners, but the real drivers car owners (ie. Porsche, Lotus, Aston Martin) they know whats up... As a daily driver, midlife crisis car, or a professional racecar the miata will always come through.

Favorite Features

Gorgeous body lines, it looks like a $80,000 Italian sports car and turns heads like such. The handling is the #1 feature of these cars, its what they are built to do. Bose premium stereo is awesome and even after 10 years still crystal clear.

Suggested Improvements

More factory Horse Power, Factory HID headlamps, more aggressive exhaust note, larger factory brakes with ventilated discs, no more perforated vinyl seat bottoms, (prone to splitting)

Frank's Silver Miata
By fgalea

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Not my daily driver, a joy to drive. Can't help smiling when I'm in her and prideful when I look back at her when I walk away after a satisfying run in the sun. Even with the top up, it's fun to drive. I feel a real connection with the road and have a hard time parking her when it's time to face the real world. Never a problem. Not a powerful car but a powerful fun car.

Favorite Features

Good looking inside and out. Great finish and fit.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.

love my Miata
By dbritt

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2002 Miata second hand 8 months ago and love it! Never really enjoyed owning/driving cars, but I can honestly say that the Miata has completely changed that. The car is a blast to drive, is actually quite comfortable, and the overall quality is excellent. Two problems I've had with the car: a tiny hole in the soft top and a "chattery" clutch when the car was cold. My local Mazda dealer completely replaced the top and clutch under warranty without blinking an eye. Scheduled service performed by the dealer was inexpensive, especially compared with the VW that I owned prior. The ride is rough on poor pavement, and can be noisy/windy at high speeds, but regardless it's a GREAT car!

Favorite Features

Easy to use controls, quality of interior, fit and finish, handling on windy roads, maneuverability in the city, driving position, classic styling, fuel mileage, Mazda service.

Suggested Improvements

MINOR: Interior lights in the glove box, etc. A decent bracket for the front license plate (can't even find one aftermarket), scratches bumper.

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata (2-seat Roadster)
By Wayne P.

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

You don't drive this car - you pilot it. Handling is so intuitive, you rarely think about it; almost drives itself. It is so nimble, you can drive circles around anyone, anytime. You don't climb in, you strap it on & it becomes part of you. One caveat: it's not for someone over 6 feet tall. Can reach anyplace inside from the driver's seat (+ right outside mirror). Great acceleration & braking. It was made for curves & hills. OUTSTANDING! These guys thought of everything, and more. Don't expect silly/distracting gadgets - this is for those serious about driving. After 30,000 miles, not one problem. Mileage overall: 26mpg. Fuel: recommend 93 octane - 89 ok.

Favorite Features

Driving position & instrument panel - you are seated nearly as low as an Indianapolis race car. Short-throw 5-speed manual transmission. Can drop/raise top at a traffic light. Very tight turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Ban most SUV's & large vans. In city traffic, you'll spend a lot of time staring at license plates (or grilles larger than the rear window).

A drivers dream
By skpetter

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata LS 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I just got my second roadster a MX5 LS and I am sorry that I waited 23 years. My first car I bought after college was a 1972 Fiat 850 Spyder that constantly made trips up and down the pacific Coast Highway. Mazda's version of the roader updates all the fun of a classic lightweight roadster with the technology of today. The transmission is fantastic and well spaced and the acceleration is fantastic. It runs well on the freeway and the only regret I have is I now live in Florida so I can't have the exprience of mountain driving up to Angelest Crest on those great winding roads to Crestline. You dont ride in his car you are one with it

Favorite Features

6 speed transmission, aceleration asy of top use and quality of the build

Suggested Improvements

I am 6'3" so I would like a tilt wheel as it is kind of hard to see the top of the instrument gage