Used 2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Lots of Great Used Miatas on the Road
By funpig

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When I was younger, I owned a Triumph and was recently considering buying a restored one for kicks. In the end, common sense won and I bought a six year old '02 Miata with about 45,000 km. Best decision, I ever made. Truly a fun, fun car to drive. Reminds me of the old British sports cars, but with updated power, engineering and reliability. You really do feel like part of the car when you drive. The engine is not big, but it has great torque. The power is in the right places when you shift and you get a great sense of acceleration and speed throughout every gear. You control the Miata; the car does not control you.

Favorite Features

Fantastic torquey engine. Sports suspension option with Bilstein shocks, rigid support and bigger disk brakes highly recommended. Great timeless and stylish exterior body and interior. Great reputation for reliability. Fantastic value for price and good on gas.

Suggested Improvements

Possible clutch shudder and notchy gear shifting when cold, goes away when warmed up (or rev higher before pop clutch). Not so sure if it is a defect as much as just part of the character of the car. Keep the second vehicle for more passengers and capacity, poor weather and practicality

Glad I'm on Earth - only place with MX5
By SCAREY

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We have had our MX5 2000 (silver) for three days. (39,700 kms) I have run out of excuses to drive it - now I drive it in my sleep. Well almost. We were thinking buying a motorbike, and I am beginning to think this is more fun than a bike: as a past BMW bike owner I can throw this car into a corner just as fast and not worry about falling over. I was worried driving with the top up with restrict visibility a lot, but this is less of a worry than I expected. Today I drove in the rain for the first time on the freeway and there were no leaks. I am slowly getting used to the car, and the more I drive it, the more I like it.

Favorite Features

Seats. Quality of finish. Clever design of soft top: easy to use. With the roof down at 100kmh (60mph) you can talk normally to your passenger. Smooth as silk cornering: a skateboard on sticky rails. Feeling like you are in a speedy cocoon. Two separate trip meters.

Suggested Improvements

Make the ignition key easier to find in the dark. Improve the explanation of the oil pressure gauge in the manual: I am not sure if I have high oil pressure or not. Changing from 5th to 6th gear requires more thought than I think it should take. Not a straight line through.

Miata
By chicagojet

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

great, fun car to drive.buy an option spoiler & a cold air intake

MostFunFor$20000
By 1stTimeMiata

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love my new miata. Sure a lot of people say that the car is for woman going through a mid life crisis, but I am none of those. For $20,000 there is no car as fun and reliable. Sure the horsepower is a little low, but I can use all the performance of my miata on the road while a porsch is not able to be pushed.

Favorite Features

The shifting and the drop top. I like the feeling of being inside the car. You have to drive one to understand. The cornering is unreal. Plus I never heard of a miata owner trash talking about there car.

Suggested Improvements

More aggressive exterior look, but other than that I wouldn't want another car.

Fun!
By MiataOwnerSince93

2002 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Outstanding handling and fun.

Favorite Features

Best value for the money.

Suggested Improvements

A lower seat (by an inch or two) would improve sightlines and headroom for 6+ft. drivers. Rear view mirror mounted on the dashboard rather than on windshield would also improve sightlines. A rotory engine, turbo or supercharger would be a welcome factory option.