Something different in this segment
By byronape on
2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)
I was searching for a mid-size car with decent power, nice looking, and a V6-MTX combo to replace my aged Maxima. The 6 fit the bill, and since it's made in Michigan, I could keep my Ford retiree FIL happy. It had a little over 80k when it bought it, and had a few minor issues that I have yet to deal with. Almost a year after buying it, I'm still pleased with the way the car drives and handles. The factory Bose system was terrible, so I swapped the speakers for aftermarket... fyi you need to swap the amp too or it will sound worse. Power isn't fantastic, but sufficient for keeping things interesting. Looks nice and with the leather and sunroof, it feels like a more expensive car.
Favorite Features
Leather is nice, but requires some additional upkeep. Sunroof is great. Hatchback makes it very useful for hauling but it still looks like a sporty sedan. Big enough in the back for 4 people as long as the people in the back are not over 6 feet and don't have long legs. Handles great with decent tires, even with a little more body roll than I'd like. Of course, the body roll could just be due to the age\ mileage. The 6-disk CD changer is a nice touch, but I think you have to get the Bose system to get it so it's a bit of a trade off.
Suggested Improvements
It's a little late now since it's been redesigned, but the factory Bose system is not worth it as long as you can get the wheel mounted controls without it. Otherwise, plan on swapping out the amp\sub\speakers if you are an audiophile like me. Also, when the back seat is down, you can hear a lot of rattles and creaks. It isn't overpowering, but it is annoying when the radio is low and you are trying to have a conversation. Otherwise, a little volume on the radio will drown it out completely.