2005 Mazda 6 Sports Wagon Review
By tfrancl on
2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6A)
We purchased the car 4 years ago with 40K miles and currently have 82K miles. This has been an excellent car. While it is a station wagon it drives and handles very well, more like a sports sedan. The V-6 and six speed auto is a very good combination of performance and mileage. It also has a very good Bose aduio system. The heater, heated seats and AC all preform well. We have not had any maintenace issues other than the standard upkeep of tires, brakes, etc.
Favorite Features
Contrary to some reviews, unless you are drag racing Mustangs and Camareos this car has ample acceleration. It also gets good gas mileage, 20-22 mpg around town and 27-30 mpg, on the highway at full+ Interstate speeds. I do use the recommended 5-W20 synthetic engine oil and keep the tires inflated to 35 psi. An outstand feature of this car is the six-speed automatic transmission, a big reason for the above. This transmission is always in the right gear, either accelerating or decelerating. We live near the CO mountains and this car is a hoot to drive on mountain roads. When you are going downhill you just touch the brake and the transmission shifts down to the next lower gear.
Suggested Improvements
I have been driving for over 50 years and owned over a dozen familly type cars plus a couple of sports cars. Frankly, I do not know what more you could ask from a mid-sized station wagon in particular or a family car in general. I plan to put 150K miles before I even start to consider a trade-in and may even go 200K. I'm just going to drive it and enjoy it.