2005 Mazda Mazda6 Consumer Review: Mazda6s

2005 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Review

Mazda6s
By Mike on

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After a year of ownership, I traded it in for an '06 MX-5. I wanted to love this car, but only liked it. Interior rattles started after a few thousand miles. I've tried to like FWD cars, but still hate them, even after this car. The engine is powerful, but you don't feel it until you reach higher revs. Comfort and space are fine. Interior's a bit cheap - too much plastic, hard leather. Great interior storage areas. Long-throw shifter doesn't inspire. Poor pedal placement, which makes heel and toe driving very difficult. It got me around for a year. But I sensed too much Ford influence in the (lack of) build quality. With that said, cost/performance is a relative bargain.

Favorite Features

Great bang for the buck - 220HP V6. Exterior appearance. Reliability (only 12,000 miles driven, but no problems in that time). Unique appearance among a sea of Accords and Camrys.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality - interior rattles abound after a few thousand miles. Horrible turning radius. Long-throw shifter. FWD torque and understeer. Vague throttle response. Body panel gaps seem a bit large. Bose stereo lacks fidelity (what a surprise). Poor paint quality. Poor fuel economy.