2014 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Choose your niche
By dougiesc

2014 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Definitely a niche car, best suited for a family of 4 plus groceries or luggage. It works for us, but if you really need the passenger or luggage space, go with a full-sized minivan. This isn't it. It is basically a 4-seat wagon with a couple of child-sized extra seats in the back--which you can't use if you carry much luggage. However, the usual three-passenger sedan bench seat is replaced with two full captain's chairs and a table/platform for drinks, books, whatever. The car is solid and quiet. Good adult leg- and head-room (except for those pesky far-back seats). It is cheaper than any full-sized minivan, gets somewhat better fuel economy, and is more maneuverable.

Favorite Features

You can seat six in a pinch (and I do mean pinch). Four very comfortably. It is a nice height between SUVs or minivans which you have to climb up into, and sedans which you slide down into. The minivan-style sliding back doors are easy to use and wonderful in parking lots. Good visibility all around.

Suggested Improvements

The Mazda5 is a compromise between something like a Honda Fit and a minivan. I would like the extra space of a minivan, and the higher fuel economy of the mini-car, but I realize I can't have both.

Watch out for bad paint on Mazda5 and no warranty coverage!
By stowevter

2014 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

We have a Mazda5 Sport with only 22,000 miles. The paint around both front wheel wells has flaked off to bare metal. And, the paint along the rocker panels on both sides and up the doors 12-18 inches has also flaked off, ruining the finish. Mazda refuses to cover the repair of this and says that something on the roads "back east" used for snow removal caused the paint to fail. Unbelievable but they won't cover a fix. I have filed an arbitration claim with the Better Business Bureau. Beware of Mazda cars "back east" -- they have a paint adhesion problem! see site: my mazda sucks dot com

Suggested Improvements

Fix the paint.

It's not a minivan it's a SUPER WAGON
By wnull

2014 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

when our 2007 mazda3 was totaled we knew we wanted another mazda. we had that car since new with 130k on it and no issues. We also wanted something for our growing family but yet something kind of fun to drive. My wife refuses to drive anything but a manual transmission. So the mazda5 has fit the bill for everything. we don't usually have more than 4 people in the car at a time but it's nice to know we can fit 6 if needed. If you plan on taking this for long vacations using all six seats..BUY the roof rack! MPG so far has averaged 28/ best 32..mostly hwy and long stretches of 40mph roads during my commute. For a young couple that like smaller maneuverable cars this is the way to go!

Favorite Features

Manual Transmission! Simple car! I guess we are weird but we like that it doesn't have a huge touch screen in it. We like that there isn't a lot of distractions and instead just love the drive. The Super Wagon is actually pretty darn fun to toss around corners (when there's not kids in the back of course). Love the sliding second row seats and the under storage/flip out cup holder. We play in a Scottish Bagpipe band and so far there's all kinds of places to put our stuff for long trips! Aux jack and usb ports are in a fantastic spot.. easy to access. I hate when the aux jack is in a glove box.

Suggested Improvements

Don't punish me for wanting a manual transmission. I'd love heated leather seats..much easier to clean with kids! Leather wrapped steering wheel would be nice! the mpg trip computer is turned off for the base model wtf!?!? how about stock foglights. I purchased a set and will install them but come on it's not even and option! allow the front seats to go back just an inch more...I fit just comfortably at 6' but my friend who's 6'2" looked cramped and uncomfortable. I understand this would eat up some of the back seat area.