Used 2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Really Decent little Car
By Ryan

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car started out as my wife's for the first 75 K miles, I then inherited it for my job in which I put on about 4 thousand miles per month. I have a new Ram 1500 hemi - which is awesome but does not compare in the mileage department !! Ok - so I have owned numerous 5.0 Mustangs, 3 mid-nineties Z28 Camaro's, and a 2001 Corvette. Initially this was a psychological downgrade - but after a few months and a few upgrades such as Bilstein's X 4, ZR rated tires in the summer, and Michelin winter tires in the winter - I have been extremely satisfied with this little sucker. I'm now at 128 K for mileage and no real issues. Ok - so the engine light is on for the famous gas cap vacuum leak - so I just let it be like that for now. I've changed the tranny oil out for Amsoil and do regular synthetic oil changes at 10 thousand miles like clockwork. I did notice that somewhere between 4500 and 5000 miles - it sucks back just over a half a liter of oil. I top it off and its good until I do the change. I have also tried about 5 different brands of oil and it does it with all of them. The engine sounds great still, no unusual engine noise whatsoever. It has really decent power for a 4-cyl and the economy is also decent. I do not baby this car in any way and it just keeps on pluggin away. I get about 33 mpg on the hwy and 27 in town - so averages about 30 mpg. I have to say this car handles like its on rails with my upgrades and is actually fun to drive. I'm thinking about what I will buy next, but have decided I'm just going to see how long this little guy lasts. I swear I'll drive it to 300 k if it makes it. This thing still feels tight with not rattles or weird noises, despite being on rough gravel roads often enough. Things that I feel could have been improved on from factory involve the paint (seems a little thin and easy to chip), seats aren't super comfortable - but I do spend 4 or 5 hrs in it a day more often than not. The tires do wear prematurely on the inside due to the camber, which is something that requires monitoring and prompt tire rotation. The engine has more than enough power for routine daily use in town or on the big road. The transmission shifts nice and seem to remain nice and tight even will into the 100,000 mile mark. I have had no issues with any other components. I just wish my wife would have bought a black one (instead of purple) - lol. Keep up the good work Mazda and i'll honestly consider another 3 when the time comes !!!

MazdaGirl3
By curlygal3

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have now owned three Mazda. I owned a 1989 Mazda Protege, 2002 Mazda Protege that I loved until I was rear ended on the interstate by someone texting and driving at 75 miles an hour and now my 2007 Mazda 3. Out of the 3 cars my 2007 is the worst. Sadly, I have buyers remorse. My biggest complaint is visibility. I'm short at 5 feet tall and the A pillars in front cut off my visual field which can be dangerous. The pillars in the back are also terrible. Changing lanes in this car for me is awful and scary. It wasn't like that in my 1989 and 2002 Proteges. The side mirrors are in the worst position. Now maybe if you are a guy who is 6 feet tall you may not have these complaints. If you are a short driver this may not be a car for you. It sure isn't for me. I am getting ready to trade this car in finally. On a positive spin, I did recently test drive the 2016 Mazda 3 and pleasantly surprised! They have improved visibility with the A pillars. One thing I wish car sales people would do, please allow the buyer to change lanes and really test the car. Going around the block isn't a test drive! If I had known the visibility issues, I would not have purchased a 2007 car. My 1989 and 2002 Protege, I had for years and frankly loved them.

Fantastic first car or commuter
By braydenm

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car used, with about 80,000km. I drive cars pretty hard, and put a lot of miles on as I do about 600km a week commuting. This car has served me well, I kept it for 4 years and in that time racked up over 115,000km. Never had a single thing break on me, despite abuse. Most reliable car I've owned. The car is an absolute joy to drive, feels so much better than all its competitors in the same class and looks better too. The 5 door hatch is incredibly practical and with the 2.3i4 its surprisingly peppy. Great car overall, I'd definitely buy another.

Great power for a 4 cylinder very practical with folding seats and hatch Fun car to drive, makes you smile going around corners. Incredible reliability Mazda dealers are friendly, and inexpensive to maintain Never had to replace anything, but inexpensive parts compared to almost every other foreign brand Interior nicely laid out and class exclusives at the time like rain sensing wipers, and very bright projector headlights. Ridiculous giant glove box, you could literally fit a couple full size laptops in there with room to spare for the hefty owners manual! Did I mention practical???

MPG is good, but for a 4 cylinder small car with low weight could be better. Suspension is with no doubt about it stiff. I enjoy tight suspension in a way because its gives you a better feeling of control, but definitely bumpy. Tires on GT and touring models (205-50-17s) get eaten like crazy, and are quite expensive compared to other sizes. I put 215-50-17s and they seemed to be a tiny bit better in terms of pricing and availability Mazda uses thin metals which dent very easily, and noticeably in parking lots.

2007 Mazda 3
By ship_phi071

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car 6 years ago, car has 50,700 miles on it. Overall it gets me from point A to point B, however I have had to replace brake cable, calipers, rotors and brakes as well as the rear and front supsension. Apparently this is a not uncommon issue with the vehichle. Car warranty should be better as well only 3 years 36K miles

Good sound system, manual transmission, heated seats for cold winter days

Better warranty offer, use better rotors/brake pads.

Not My First and Certainly Not My Last Mazda
By boatracer

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I simply love me '07 Mazda 3S Touring Hatchback. I've had it since new and currently have nearly 65K miles on the odometer. This little car has been trouble free. It still performs like the day I bought it. It is incredibly practical and while not a station wagon, it does splendid duty for hauling gardening stuff, boat parts and even lumber (if you use the sunroof) I'm one of those people who service their car regularly - even moreso than Mazda suggests. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want a new Skyactiv 3i or keep my '07 just to see how long it lasts. I'm a Mazda enthusiast (7 so far)

Quality, great interior materials, economy (30MPG consistently) and fun to drive (though I also have a Corvette in the garage). I also love my dealer - University Mazda in Seattle.

The standard Goodyear radials that came with the car new lasted only about 36K miles. Seems like a short life considering I'm used to getting well over 40K. Replaced with Kumhos at 36K which still look very serviceable at 64K.

• SUV