I will never own a Kia again...
By mcc482 on
2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)
Overall, this car lives up to it's reputation; you get what you pay for. The good aspects of this car are: decent fuel economy and clutch (in a 5-speed manual) is easy to engage. However, in this case, the cons significantly out weigh the pros. Performance wise, this car lacks any kind of power. You have to put the gas pedal to the floor just to merge onto the highway. The exterior of the vehicle is weak; it's extremely easy to dent and can be done with a fierce shove with the palm of your hand. As for the interior build, this car is a complete nightmare, believe me.
Suggested Improvements
After owning this car for two years before writing it off in an accident at only 100,000km, I had to replace: the transmission, the starter, the alternator belt, the steering belt, the ENTIRE break system (brake lines went when I slammed on the breaks to avoid an accident), the oxygen sensor, etc. The biggest replacement of all was the engine. At 80,000km the timing belt snapped. At 98,000km I had to replace the timing belt AGAIN. From what I've read about the vehicle, the timing belt is a 100% failure rate after 60,000km. That is just not normal. Take the advice from someone who has had this car in their family for eight years -- get rid of this nightmare now.