Used 2004 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Rio - Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Rio

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

No Complaints here
By TheDrake

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rio in March of 2004 and I love it to bits. I have no complaints and I think I will always own a KIA. They have impressed me with there service and I love my car.

That I have never had a warranty issue and I have heard the nightmares from other manufacturers. Warranty is awesome. It is fun to drive and does everything I need.

None, have you seen the new Rio's they are only getting better.

This car NOT OKia
By carl

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely disappointed in the car, have made 7 trips to the dealer for warranty service on a wind noise, door handle operation, transmission has been replaced twice within 24,000 miles and the car is way underpowered and loses speed rapidly when going up any even slight incline. God forbid you are running the air conditioner as it sucks the remaining horsepower right out of the engine and the engine runs extremely rough with the A/C compressor engaged. Great that there is a 100,000 mile warranty, but believe me you have to use it all the time! Dealership service mechanics are also incompetent.

The radio/ CD is ok, driver seat comfortable. It could be a fun little car to drive with more HP.

More horsepower to improve acceleration and performance when A/C is on, better handling.

Good Commuter Car, Got it a Great Price
By pslims

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I got my 2004 Rio last month. I was looking for a commuter car to drive about 20-30 minutes on the highway to work. So far I am pleased with the car. It was manual transmission (the automatic drove horrible) and manual windows, locks, no ABS, no stereo. Overall, I am happy with the car as a commuter car. I probably would not have bought this car but for the price I paid, it was definitely worth it.

1. Price --- brand new 2004 Rio for $6500! It was manual transmission (which is ok because the automatic drove horrible) 2. Gas Mileage: I drive mostly highway and get 30 - 34 mpg 3. Warranty: 10yr 100K powertrain, 5yr 60K mile bumper to bumper 4. Engine Power: zippy 5. Safety: adequate.

1. Bad Suspension - does not take bumps well. I will try to add better shocks and tires 2. Needs 6th Speed - at 65-70 mph, sounds like it needs to shift 3. Engine Smell for the first 1000 miles. The dealer said a temporary engine spray coating burns and makes the smell.

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly...
By Single Mom w/2 teens

2004 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My car is only two months *new*. I
have a 4-door sedan, automatic, air-
cond., am/fm/cd and the 'upgrade pkg.'
but no power windows/doorlocks. A bit
hard getting used to NOT having those
in a car but I can live without it.
There is plenty of interior space for
those sitting up front, however, those
sitting in back have relatively NO LEG
ROOM. Door handles etc. inside are
obviously cheap plastic and somewhat
ugly though functional. Engine needs
more power, especially driving uphill
on freeways as well as simply trying to
pick up speed to merge onto a freeway
or to pass other vehicles. Fuel
economy is great! Overall decent and
driveable car for the price.

Great fuel economy! The rear-defogger, sunglass visor and map lights up front are nice. The look of the exterior is nice and clean.

1.) Stronger engine for driving uphill; merging onto freeways and trying to pass another vehicle. 2.) Get rid of the cheap plastic door handles. They function but are ugly and 'look' like they could break just opening the door! 3.) More back seat 'leg room' and standard power doorlocks/windows.

Very Happy with Cinco Wagon
By Bear

2004 Kia Rio Cinco 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This has been an excellent car for the
28,000 miles that I have put on it.

Many extras for the price.

Make cruise control an option and/or standard item.