Used 2004 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Fuel Mileage?
By Joe B.

2004 Jeep Liberty Columbia Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought with 103,000 on the clock. 15 mpg at first. NGK spark plugs looked like originals, burned to .085"+ gap. Replaced with Bosch Platinums, replaced air filter with K&N, cruise 60MPH or less and use cruise on even slower long straight stretches such as 45 zones that go forever for no obvious reason. Lightfoot starts and stops and I get 21 mpg now. Runs and drives like new. I am happy with it. If I need more mileage I drive the Honda Accord. I don't expect much better mileage from a Jeep. I just expect it to perform when I need it.

Favorite Features

I love the interior layout. Controls are quite handy and ergonomic. More comfortable and fun to drive than the Accord

Suggested Improvements

The headlight beam pattern and adjustments leave much to be desired. Mine and several others have the right headlight too low & won't adjust all the way back up to normal. The only problem I have. It is now close enough and fill from the fog lights on rural roads illuminates the roadway quite well.

DONT BUY!
By ventura ,ca

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Buying this car was the biggest mistake. With no warning I had to get the transmission fixed and after that everything went down hill. Put more money into the car than what its worth. Learned a costly lesson

Terrific Vehicle
By Jackie

2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle brand new. I drove every other SUV out there. I didn't want to try a Jeep but my husband insisted. We bought it right on the spot after the test drive. I have never had a problem. It is like a little tank in the winter.

2004 Renegade Liberty
By Mike

2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

We bought our Libert in May of 2004. After 5 years and 93000 Miles. It's safe to say this may be the most dependable and solid vehicle I have ever owned. And I have had quite a few. It is great on and off road, currently have a 2" Body Lift on it with 30" BFG ATs on it. But I did get about 85000 miles out of the original Goodyears and they still had good tread left on them. Honestly don't have any complaints about this vehicle, fun to drive, looks great, easy to maintain, nice interior features such as the window controls, door handles. Actually continues to get better fuel mileage - Currently 18.5 mpg. Definitely made me a Jeep Person.

Favorite Features

The 3.7 V6 Motor. Responsive with great power. 4WD - Works great. Renegade Light Bar puts out some serious light.

Nice Truck but Terrible Mileage
By 2004JL

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have to wonder what vehicles other reviewers drove before their liberty to consider the abysmal mileage in the Jeep to be good. I average under 18 mpg highway, driving 65 or under. That's TERRIBLE mileage. It's MUCH worse in the city especially in winter, expect 10 mpg. I've heard many other Liberty owners complain of the same lousy mileage. Using 4x4 mode is even worse. Full size V8 pick ups get better mileage. The four speed auto is reliable but needs more gears. It does ride well, and can tow 5000lbs which is great if you tow a lot. It feels peppy until 40 mph but sorta dies off due to a very tall second gear. It's a very loud motor when pressed hard for passing.

Favorite Features

Looks great especially when waxed and polished. Great towing ability. Seems reliable for the most part. Great 4x4 system. Comfortable seats and pretty quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a Modern engine with better mileage, a bigger glove box, the standard Goodyear tires are terrible. The four speed transmission is old school. Needs a five or six speed unit. Rear seats should fold flat and you shouldn't have to remove the head rests to put the seats down.