2003 Infiniti I35 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Infiniti I35 - Consumer Reviews

2003 I35 Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic - (100 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Amazing Car!!! Will Always Drive and Keep One
By cgiunt

2003 Infiniti I35 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Although this Infiniti is my first car, I must say what a dream it has been to own. I bought this car in early 2012 with 117,000 miles on the odometer and have since put on close to 20,000 miles without a single problem. Gas mileage is very good for 134,000 miles averaging 25mpg between highway/city driving. The performance was top notch for it's time and is still a high level competitor today. Car drives great on the GLE suspension and the 215/55/R17 tires make for a nice mixture of ride comfort and handling. The car truly is a low end sports car with great luxury features and very good interior quality. Very little I would change about this car...will always have one.

Favorite Features

Heated seats (front/rear) Heated steering wheel Rear sunshade 6 disc CD changer Bose stereo system 8 way power driver seat Analog clock Electroluminescent display (expensive looking) HID headlights Cornering lights Sunroof Leather overlay dashboard Memory Seats Cassette deck Heated exterior side view mirrors More than comfortable to drive, even on extended trips. Easy to use controls

Suggested Improvements

Really does have a horrible turning radius!!!- Perhaps the worst thing about this car. Little more noise dampening materials Perhaps a 5 speed auto for lower highway revs Real wood grain would really class up interior

Great Value
By Great Value

2003 Infiniti I35 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Peppy vehicle with poor turning radius. Very dependable. Only problem in 8 years has been the automatic portion of the electric windows (when you hit the switch and they go all the way up), it comes back down 4". If you close slowly it is fine. Comfortable and a great deal and value for the money. Consumer reports his listed this model as "great used car value" for many years.

A fast sleeper
By David

2003 Infiniti I35 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Infiniti, my first is a 96 I30t (still own) If this car holds up like the 1996 model I will be a satisfied customer! This is a fast highway car, passing cars has no strain or sweat associated with it. Seats are comfy everything works, stereo slams but not distorted. Fuel economy is freakishly good ( my trip computer lines up with my manual calculations 34-35 mpg going 65 mph in Ohio and PA roads! (no kidding 34-35 mpg) Smoothness and reliability are the trademarks here, looks good too.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage Reliability Sleeper car speed

Suggested Improvements

Could improve the ride a bit and firm up the shocks (base model). Could bring it back from extinction

Much to be Improved Upon
By Zach

2003 Infiniti I35 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Was a fantastic vehicle until it passed 60k miles. Even with continuous maintenance, it sucks gas, has serious suspension problems, eats through tires, burns oil, the transmission is going, and the muffler has rusted completely off. It now has 68,000 miles on the odometer and has eaten $5000+ in repair costs. It has also left me stranded 1000 miles from home when the TPS (throttle position sensor - once recalled) died. That out of town repair was $1000 alone.

Favorite Features

Heated steering wheel and Bose Sound System. Not much else.

Suggested Improvements

Has the turning radius of a school bus. Suspension of a 1960s VW Bug. Fuel economy of a tank. Exterior paint quality - one light touch and its dented or chipped. Fix these, it would be an OK daily driver.

Solid car for the money
By Tom

2003 Infiniti I35 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car looking for comfort, performance/sportiness, luxury/sleek elegant look and a bit of exclusivity. 12k miles into it I've found all this and then some. Among the competition, (es300/TL), I went with the i35 due to its performance (3.5L versus 3.0, 3.2), comparable gas mileage (20/26), comfort in the little things (sunshade, rear heated seats, sojourner leather), build quality and reliability (its a maxima in disguise). TL's and ES300's are a dime a dozen, this car was Infiniti's hidden car. Its nice to roll in a car that has a lot of everything, yet isn't seen 5 times in 1 in block. The ride is very smooth and no major issues have arrived.

Favorite Features

Performance. Many people refer to this car as an old mans car, but at the age of 23, it turns a lot of heads during passing on the highway and the sheer acceleration/pickup at the light. The VQ35de roars after 2500RPM. The heated seats are a plus, I get compliments whenever someone sits in the car.

Suggested Improvements

No car is perfect, and although its discontinued if I could improve on it: *Stronger/Firmer suspension. OEM parts are weak, turning radius is terrible. *4AT transmission. Lackluster, a 5 speed would really improve acceleration and to the overall performance. Shifts feel sludgy. *Better Bose

Best Car I've Had
By luvs*i35

2003 Infiniti I35 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car has given me absolutely no problems in the past 6 years I've had it. Recently I was hit by some object on the freeway. The windshield withstood the impact with just a small scratch. I think I would have been in trouble had I not been in such a sturdy car. I love the performance and the reliability.

Favorite Features

Ability to accelerate when I need the power.

Suggested Improvements

I would have liked a better choice of colors. Ended up with silver, but I still like it very much.

Fabulous Performer
By Fabulous Performer

2003 Infiniti I35 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Originally leased (Sept 03) then bought the car at end of lease (a first for a lease for me). I do not recall ANY problems during the dealer maintenance period and follow on has been limited to replacement of belts and hoses which I do on a 3-year cycle. Did have a wheel bearing go out and was an unusual and unexpected repair. Even with 84K miles, computer is registering 25.5 MPG avg which has reduced from about 26.5 for the first 4 years. A great cost of ownership vehicle.

Favorite Features

I really appreciate the driver seat that moves back when you exit the vehicle. This avoids hitting your head on the frame which happens on most vehicles with current styling trends. Great gas mileage and low maintenance costs

Suggested Improvements

The faux wood trim peels - probably due to poor surface prep prior to installation.

Disappointed
By Disappointed

2003 Infiniti I35 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle just about 5 years ago because I had heard so many great things about Infiniti. The first 3 years were good but then my oil was always running low and they could never diagnose it. Now I only have 87000 miles and the engine has failed. That is certainly not what I expected from an auto dealer with their perceived quality. Their customer satisfaction department was anything but satisfying and I will now be buying a BMW!

Very reliable and comfortable
By jc01

2003 Infiniti I35 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in 03 for 21.5k. The car has been ultra-reliable with no significant problems at all. After 52k miles the only maint. I have had to do is change my oil+filter. I so far have never had to refill oil in between changes, my tires are in great shape, and all components still work great. I really liked the interior and the soft leather seats. The car is quiet and has a powerful engine. It's a sleeper car in that it is very nondescript, but it also has a streamlined look. The drive is not comparable to a sports sedan but that's not the point. It handles well for its size in the corners and has good balance. The steering feedback is very good as well.

Favorite Features

The comfort overall and the sound system. All around high quality and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

The turning radius could be better but I knew what it was when I bought and researched the car. I get about 23 mpg on average if I drive slowly mixed city/hwy. A bit low but you pay for the 255hp eng. There's a big gap between the hood and front bumper, but otherwise the build quality is quite high.

Best value for the money!
By johnny45

2003 Infiniti I35 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Had previously owned a '99 I-30 - what a wonderful car, but I had no idea how much fun and what a great driving experience could be had until I purchased my 2003 I-35 new in May '03. This is such a great car! Fun to drive - very reliable - reasonable on oil changes/maintenance costs - it has been the best value for the money of all the cars I have purchased over the last 45 years of driving experience. It reminds me of the early Nissan Maximas - a really great sports sedan! It gives so much back to the driver. Based on current offerings in the automobile markets, I'm keeping this car until the wheels drop off - at least another 10 years! And yes, it runs OK on regular gas - 26 mpg hwy!

Favorite Features

Driving experience. A sports sedan - great handling/speed/reliable car. Fun on short and long trips! Best car for the money.

Suggested Improvements

I got rid of the Bridgestones once I had 30K miles and put a softer "rubber" tire for road comfort and handling.