Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

2004 hyundai Sante Fe paint problems
By lorie920

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it new in 2004. It has plenty of room for passengers and plenty of cargo room. The car has great power on take off. The biggest issue I have is they use bad paint. These hyundai's are peeling and fading. This in itself is why I won't buy the new 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe.

Favorite Features

The size is perfect for me. It still looks nice (on the inside) after all these years.

Suggested Improvements

Buyer beware! There is a major problem with hyundai's paint. Almost all hyundai owners are having problems with peeling and fading on the body. Hyundai won't do anything about it! Also, the leather seats are very hard, which makes for a very bad traveling experience. Take a few pillows along on the trip. You'll need them. I also had problems with windshield wiper arms rusting out. Until they fix these problems, I'll warn all who consider getting a hyundai to read customer reviews first.

What A Lemon!!!!!! I will never own another Hyundai
By kylemack

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had 3 transmissions replaced, timing belt, power window motors replaces... and not to mention all the cheap little plastic parts braking and cheap chrome pealing off. Not only does this tin can want to make me never own another hyundia agian but makes me want to just ride a bike. OH And The Side airbag went off while i was driving down the road, no accident or anything. I called hyundai and they said it would all be out of my pocket to fix and that I should call my insurance and insurance said they cant do anything about it because there was no accident. Hyundai support was a bunch of run arounds and not helpful at all. I will never buy another Hyundai. What a money pit!

Favorite Features

heated seats still work... even though the side air bag is just dangling there... yeah thats about it

Suggested Improvements

buy a car that will last. not a hyundai

2004 Hyundai sante fe
By guccigirl

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Everyones reviews about new cars, guess what, mine has 165 thou miles, never had a problem! LOVE LOVE LOVE MY HYUNDAI! Fabulous stereo! Only complaints, wish it had better gas mileage, have to change transmission fluid every 30 thou miles. I really love this car. will drive it to death, it also really holds its value!

Favorite Features

looks/stereo

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage, tires and breaks wear more quickly than other cars i've had. Car has always pulled to the right, had front end, rear end alignments, many, break checks, and new tires, doesn't seem to help

just put in gas and go.
By Bob

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am 6 ft. tall and have lots of room to be comfortable. Works fine but have not had it long. Moved jack handle off jack and not a rattle or squeak since. If it stays this way can't ask for any better. One very small crab....mileage indicator hard to read in daytime.

Favorite Features

Smooth transmission, engine, ride.

Suggested Improvements

Instruments could be a bit easier to see in daytime when lights are not on.

Solid Vehicle for the Price
By gunlockjs

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This Sante Fe is well equipped for the price and a good bargain. With the 3.5 V6, it has adequate power for hills and interstate driving. I test drove the smaller engines and recommend the 3.5 V6. The initial check of gas mileage was 21mpg @ 75mph on interstate driving. We bought the Sante Fe for my wife to drive to work in northern Minnesota and it works well in bad weather, handling 6 inches of fresh snow with no trouble.

Favorite Features

Compared to my full size pickup, it handles very well in city traffic and parking lots; I was impressed with the tight turning radius. It also has a decent list of standard options for the price, especially the 4 wheel disc brakes, alloy wheels, gas struts on the hood, and the Monsoon sound system.

Suggested Improvements

The driver's side seat needs an additional 1-2 inches of travel rearward. If you are 6' or taller you feel as though you are sitting on the steering wheel.