Used 2011 Hyundai Equus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Equus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equus model:

Finest Car we ever owned!!!!!! But un-reliable!!
By John Chavanne

2011 Hyundai Equus Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This review is for our 2011 Equus. Prior to this we owned 4 Lexus LS sedans (1990,1996,2001,2005). The car is by far smoother and more comfortable and outperforms anything we have ever had. But------------At least 6 ot 8 times we have been faced with a dead battery. Why??? I think two possible reasons. When entering or exiting the car it is very easy to accidently touch the "Trunk Release" button. The trunk lid does not open, just moves up perhaps a 1/4" or so. So unless you grasp the trunk and try to open it and/or slam it you never realize this has happened. Trunk light comes on and a few days later---dead car!!!! Not sure about the latest model but some Hyundais (new Sonata and Genesis) when the button is pushed, open the lid all the way---obvious!! So two fixes--1- Retrofit to raise the lid completely or at least several inches and 2- Install what many competitors have which is a timer that automatically shuts down any accessories/lights that are accidentally left on!! Our dealer and we presume Hyundai refuse to consider this 'fix' and instead are prepared to remove the trunk light!!!! Another contributing factor seems to be that if car is not driven for a couple of weeks the existing systems seem to run the battery down. I installed a trickle charger but the dealer removed it. Sadly, the dealer and Hyundai have spent more in service calls and battery replacements than they would have to do a 'fix' to the problems! At this point we may be looking for a 'lesser' car but one that is reliable!! It would be wonderful if someone at Hyundai or our dealer who is able to make decisions would contact us. Meanwhile the car is gone for at least 3-4 days----again!!!!!!!!!!!

2011 Equus - sudden acceleration
By equus2011

2011 Hyundai Equus Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my Equus in May 2011 as brand new car in Toronto, Canada. I had been very happy with it until its sudden acceleration happened in August 2014. I took it back to the dealership to check for the problem but they couldn't find anything. It happened again twice in the evening of April 2, 2015 but the engineer and technician from Hyundai Canada couldn't find anything wrong again. I don't feel safe to drive it so I traded it for a Genesis Ultimate. I only put in about 52,000KM to the Equus but the trade in value is not good at all. I have no choice as the trade in amount would be even lower if I traded it at the dealership of another brand.

All the incidents happened in the parking lot after backing out from the parking space as soon as I shifted the gear from R to D. It accelerated by itself without pressing hard on the gas pedal. I braked to stop the car and shifted the gear to P. Once in P, the engine revved over 7000RPM with very loud engine noise. I turned off the car and pumped the gas pedal a few times to make sure it was not stuck. The engine revved over 7000RPM again as soon as I restarted the car. It became normal once it was restarted after waiting a couple minutes. It seems something in the car was reset after a couple minutes.

Just want to give a warning to anyone in the market to look for a used Equus in black color in Toronto. I don't feel safe driving it. It would be very dangerous if it happens while driving on highway.

I traded a BMW 745i for the 2011 Equus
By peteranger

2011 Hyundai Equus Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

After looking at luxury sedans for about a year, I traded my Bimmer for the Equus without a second thought. The Equus was the first car I got into for a test ride that I felt was more comfortable than the 745. It uses regular gas, gets comparable mileage, is as quiet, comfortable and well equipped as the 745i - for 10s of thousands less. Add the superior warranty and valet service (I haven't been to the dealer for service in nearly 4 years!) Only two demerits: less than stellar iPod implementation (on an otherwise outstanding audio system) and handling that's more boat like than Bimmerish. I'll keep the 2011 until Hyundai delivers an AWD Equus.

Overall comfort, Sound System, relatively good mileage on the 2011 (I've clocked as much as 30 mpg on some highway stretches, though for mixed driving the average is closer to 20), massaging seats, adaptive cruise control, ample leg room for tall adults front AND rear, good looks (I get many favorable comments from people who ask what it is), enormous trunk.

Look at other maker's (see Infiniti) for iPod implementation. Less stark and sterile reading lights in the interior (aim for warm white), the light tan leather is too light. Bring back saddle for future models. Give us an AWD option! Work on improving mileage on newer models.

Class
By livi

2011 Hyundai Equus Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

My Equus Ultimate is one of the nicest cars I've owned. Quiet, handles well and very nice design. Had the S Class Mercedes but stepped out of the box for the Equus. People said "skeptical paying that for a Hyundai" but after riding in it and enjoying the amenities, nothing else said. Case closed. One guy stopped who had a Rolls Royce said he was considering buying an Equus. People often ask what is it (wing emblem on hood) and "heard about it, nice car." I have not been disappointed. It is truly a very nice car and the Equus Connect customer service is top notch, every question answered and any concern taken care of immediately. Love my Equus -- class extraordinaire.

Ease in handling

2011 Equus Ultimate IS Just That...
By bsdtwd

2011 Hyundai Equus Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Recently a purchased 2011 Equus Ultimate with 40k miles. Pearl White with cashmere leather. Amenities too numerous to list. Super quiet, the design is fantastic and turns heads due to it's rarity on the road. No complaints. Adaptive cruise and lane departure system work flawlessly. The Lexicon Sound is unmatched. Save $20-30,000 by indulging yourself with a fine Equus with an engine that will go forever. No timing belts or broken engine mounts like MB or Audi.

Keyless Go Adaptive Cruise Refrig and recliner seat in rear. Lane Departure System Alcantara Headliner and leather dash.

Remote Start