2005 Honda Insight - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Insight model:
2005 Honda Insight CVT
By Ryan B. on 06/06/06 17:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I purchased this new from dealer to help offset my high miles that I drive. Excellent car, lives up to its fuel efficiency claim.

Best car I've ever bought
By DriverMan on 05/20/06 10:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

What a refreshing, wonderful experience: a car I've bought that does exactly what I expected and a lot more plus is saving me MORE and MORE money every day. I love it. Plenty of power, fantastic mileage. When it hits 200,000 miles, I'll definitely buy another Honda Insight!

Best Commuter in the World
By Pierre on 03/23/06 00:50 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Sweet little car that gets the job done, currently averaging 70 mpg with 70% fwy driving. Totally reliable, quite, very peppy & fun to drive. Get stopped & questioned a lot about it. Easily go over 100 mph with it

My Favorite Car Ever
By Custom Computer on 01/20/06 06:11 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback w/Air Conditioning (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Have driven this car 16,000 miles in 4 months of ownership. It's fantastic, a perfect complement for daily commute plus I can use the car pool lane. My mileage averages 61MPG even though I've hit speeds of 75 mph for hours in a recent trip to Houston Texas. Round trip was 3400 miles and the car was just FANTASTIC: comfortable, quiet, plenty of power to keep up with everybody although most drivers on Texas freeways during Christmas holiday were at 85+ mph. The complaint people have about tires "hunting" freeway grooves; no problem, replaced by my dealer with Yokohama, wider tires which are absolutely perfect! No hunting great handling, mileage not affected so far. I love this car!

I've owned 3 of them
By William Kinney on 01/03/06 17:07 PM (PST)

The Honda Insight is an amazing vehicle. I drive mainly on highways and country roads, and over 155,000 miles (my 3 cars combined) I have averaged 86 MPG. If you only need 2 seats and do lots of highway trips, this is the car for you! For maximum mpg I highly recommend the 5-spd, as the CVT does not have the lean burn catalyst (good for an extra 21 mpg) I have never had a flat tire, battery problem, or any other problem. The ride is a little firm, with relatively high pressure in the tires. But ANYONE can achieve mpg in the 80's, if desired. Just set tires to maximum (rated on side of tire) and slow down a little, trying to hold a steady speed and keeping in lean burn mode.

Insight is a winner
By l Howe on 12/28/05 17:14 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is one of the first cars in a long time to exceed our expectations. It is exceptionally well engineered and manufactured. The fuel economy is outstanding. Honda took their time and did this one right. They were obviously looking for every "tweak" they could find for economy. For a two person family with grown kids, this car is ideal. We have a Lexus RX 300 when we need to haul more than an average load of groceries or take another couple. The Insight is getting more than 2/3 of the use because of the economy and it is fun to drive and a joy to park. And this thing has zip. I have had to learn to keep my foot out of it and stay at 70 or a little below to go for the best mpg.

Best Car for Today
By AChoiredTaste on 10/30/05 11:17 AM (PST)

Absolutely the best value for today: Fun to drive, outstanding mileage: averaging 60 -70 mpg mostly freeway driving. In town not as good. Power is great as long as you rev it; no low end torque. Great Climate Control. Lots of people stop you to ask you about it; great for conversation. Able to use carpool lane and also get $2000 back from IRS. The savings in gasoline between this and my other car makes the payment (for 60months) on this car; so it's essentially free! Now want to get more options to trick it out! You can afford this and your "week-end only" gas hog with the fuel savings!

Great mileage cruising in carpool lanes
By Tim Sakach on 09/20/05 21:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Insight 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently obtained a "clean vehicle" sticker in California that allows the use of carpool lanes with only one person in the car. It just doesn't seem fair to get great mileage while cruising past stopped traffic on the freeway. It is normal to get at least 500 miles per tank, so you don't need to fill it up very often, and it doesn't cost very much at that. Compared to what I was driving before, the savings in fuel costs alone is enough to cover payments. It is amazing that it performs the way it does with only a 1000cc engine, which is smaller than many motorcycles.

My best car
By frank manley on 08/09/05 19:44 PM (PDT)

Had many cars in 84 years, including Ferrari, etc. This is the BEST one ever. I will never sell/tradeit! (Unless the new desigh Insight comes on the market).

Dynamite comes in small packages
By Brian Tennis on 08/03/05 14:04 PM (PDT)

I really don't understand why the Editor's rating is a full 40% points different than the individuals who actually own the car? Not enough horsepower for you guys? C'mon, this is a GREAT car. While not for everyone, those who do own them, bye and large, love them to death!