2011 Honda CR-Z Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Cr-z - Consumer Reviews

2011 CR-Z Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-Z model:

Sort Reviews by

Tell it like it is.
By will_drive

2011 Honda CR-Z EX 2dr Hatchback w/Nav (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

I've owned a 6 speed CR-Z for the past 11 months, I still look forward to getting behind the wheel. Lets be honest if you consider the 6 speed then mileage is not the only thing on your mind. It's all about the drive, the windier the road the better, any time at the wheel listening to a great sound system is a joy, long trips become more enjoyable. What this car delivers on is very solid crisp road handling, head turning good looks, maneuverability in tight spaces, Honda quality, great fit and finish, very conservative fuel consumption, and it's just plain fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Handling, interior room, build quality and MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Power, A turbo would put it over the top and would not compromise on the economy, but give the little extra kit in the pants.

LOVE my CRZ
By dak_nj

2011 Honda CR-Z EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have my CRZ about 3 months now and LOVE IT!! I saw one on the road and followed it to find out what it was, and that is was a hybrid sold me on it! I have had people stop and ask "what is that?" and have seen people checking it out in parking lots. Getting mileage over 41 mpg. And I look good in it!

Favorite Features

Hybrid, of course. The little fin antennae on top. Lots of nooks and crannies to store things in. USB for the stereo.

Love my "Shark"
By jealousbaker

2011 Honda CR-Z 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my CR-Z for a little over a week now, and I absolutely love it! I researched new cars for several months, looking at all cars in the price range. It was love at first sight with the CR-Z. Great gas mileage, in my price range (unlike other hybrids), and great looks won it for me. It was a little annoying that it didn't have a backseat (I usually drive alone anyways) and the rearward visibility (I was driving a car with no rear view mirror occasionally, so it wasn't so bad!), and I wished it would have had the option of a sunroof. However everything else about it I love!! I drive A LOT and it is great to see my gas mileage is at 42 mpg right now. And everyone loves the looks.

Favorite Features

USB Cargo cover Electronics (especially gas mileage and oil life)

Suggested Improvements

Optional heated seats and sunroof Better rearward visibility Back seats in USA version too

The Cat's meow
By pfukstik

2011 Honda CR-Z 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great car, Get one!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Fun to drive. Plenty of leg room.

Suggested Improvements

None

Love having a hybrid that's cute and sporty
By twinsmom2

2011 Honda CR-Z 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car! I've had it a week and have averaged 45mpg just jetting around. I love that it's a hybrid but not boring. We are empty nesters so the 2 seater is great for us. The hatch area comfortably fits our 35 lb dog. We are tall but fit very comfortably with plenty of leg and headroom. Great stereo even in the base model, and the silver mesh seats are really nice.

2011 CR-Z
By candyrose

2011 Honda CR-Z EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love this car! I just had to have it after taking it for a test drive. I wasn't sure about going from an SUV to a 2-seater, but when I thought about it, I realized that I rarely had more than one passenger at a time anyway and if I do need to have more than I can just swap cars with my husband. This care if pure fun and makes you smile every time you get in it.

Favorite Features

Exterior style - dashboard - sound system - responsivness

Suggested Improvements

none

The CRZ is much better than the CRX or Honda SI
By gatortd

2011 Honda CR-Z EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned a 1984 CRX and a 1993 Civic SI. The SI was more fun to drive than the CRX and my CRZ is much better than either one of these. There is more power than the SI with much better gas mileage. About the people that criticize it having only two seats...I don't know of anyone that would criticize a Corvette or a Porsche only having two seats. If I want to drive more than one other person around I will drive one of my other cars. This CRZ is to the 2000 teens what the Mustang was to the 1960's. Only now with gas at 14 times what it was in the 60's, it is all about gas mileage. Cars with poor gas mileage are obsolete dinosaurs.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and power.

Suggested Improvements

More companies should be building these kind of cars.

Test Drive
By jrd325

2011 Honda CR-Z EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

Drove both the manual and automatic and found the manual more fund to drive. Particularly the close shifting ratio of the gears and the smooth shifting. The critics reviews on Edmunds are accurate. I am buying an automatic 2009 Nissan Maximum V-6 SE Coupe, which has 270 hp and I am averaging 22 MPGs. Wanted to test drive the CR-Z, not available in 2009 due to its MPGs and MSRP and the high trade-in vale of the Nissan. Decided the CR-Z is not worth purchasing due to what I would give up with the Nissan for only 12 more MPGs and the MSRP of the CR-Z, which is not being discounted that much, even if gas went to five dollars a gallon. Also due to the crash ratings. Would prefer to wait.

Favorite Features

Shifting, handling, roominess of driver and passenger area, climate control, outside temperature reading, heated outside mirrors, and all noted safety devices in and outside.

Suggested Improvements

Re-design to reach five star crash test in all areas. Improve design to improve review.

Best hybrid I have tested
By exf150owner

2011 Honda CR-Z EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Tested/considered many hybrids. I love the tech of the Prius but just wanted something different and better looking. I love my little CRZ and smile every time I drive it. I had a couple in a prius pull up next to me to say how much they loved the car. Dont get me wrong the prius is a completely different vehicle with excllent storage , but if you want a great looking car that handles great, looks awesome and gets close to 40mpg real world this is for you!. Gauges are beautifull. Sound system is incredible. Reasonably low road noise. faste enough in sport mode. Excellent fit and finish.

Favorite Features

Fit and finish is top notch. great stereo. great milage smooth over most bumps. Unique looking, gets attention. hatchback is usefull. brakes are great.

Suggested Improvements

seats could be more comfortable. I have a new civic and it has different/more comfortable seats. has blind spots, dont know how i would fix that, but you get used to it by adjusting your mirrors better and looking through the lower part of the rear hatch. I wish it came with a center console but i think they left it as an option so as to accomodate larger drivers.

CRX - REBORN
By Stealthwalker

2011 Honda CR-Z EX 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6M)

As a previous owner of a CRX-DX (7-years) this CRZ is a welcome pleasure. I traded in my 2001 A4 1.8TQ for this little piece of heaven. It is nice getting back to a smooth clutch. The Audi was a little long on both travel and throw. The exterior styling is a mix of Porsche 928 rear end & heavily modified S2000 front. The interior high end with soft touch controls like the Audi. The well placed control close to the driver. The 6 weeks has been unbelievable in the gas mileage. I am just about to fill up for the third time with: 41.7, 43.5 and 43.4 for miles/gal. avg. Not bad for a 80 City / 20 Highway driving. There seems to be no difference in Normal / Econ mode on mileage, just on stop idle.

Favorite Features

The stop/idle function great coasting to a light under 19 mph with the engine off. No problems with blind stops, you need to set the outside mirror correctly. Smooth 6-sp. manual, interior design & layout. The battery boost is quick to the call when needed. The sport mode is nice on the on ramps.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats would be nice - std. or option. Auto dimming of both inside & outside would help.