Very nice and fun to Drive
By wl123 on
2014 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl CVT)
I recently bought a Civic ex and I love it. I went through back and forth deciding among Corolla, Prius, Yaris, Fit and Elantra for a month before ending up with the Civic. I like Civic from the get go but felt it was over priced compared to Corolla and others and took me a while to finally decide to buy it. Accord or Camry would have been a better value car when the price of Civic EX is a bit over $20K already but I needed a smaller car and gas saver for commute. I got it at sale for below invoice price so I am thrilled.
Favorite Features
Handling, key less entry, push button start, quality of seat cover material, back up and side cameras with color coded distance lines, a very modern looking dash and displays.
Suggested Improvements
Value/price. Trunk has not a single hook for grocery bag or cargo net setup. The dash touch screen may have too much electronics so I am concern with long term durability and potential high cost to troubleshoot glitches and fixing them.
By reese1968
on 03/09/14 09:27 AM (PDT)

Thinking of retiring my 2003 Jetta for the 2014 Civic. I like the digital double stacked dash and the large touchscreen navi system. How's the sound system? Do you find it rides well on the highway at 70 MPH? How's the cabin noise at that speed? I mostly drive in the City and not very gingerly. What do you think you average in MPG in the City?

By mstrmstr
on 05/15/14 13:25 PM (PDT)

I recently bought a new 2014 Civic EX from BOSAK HONDA in Michigan City,IN. The car not only was a full featured bargain but fun to drive. I pimped it with the illumination package and illuminated door sills with the addition of LED map,dome and trunk lights.. Super nice now. It gets superior mileage and has enough pep to reach interstate speeds safely. The EX model has the nice alloy wheels and 10 speker upgraded sound system with a larger touch screen console. The active rear and side cameras are VERY handy. It fits my 6'1" 220 lb body well with the contoured buckets The only negatives I find is a lack of cup holders or power outlet for the rear seats. Although in a coupe rear seats are fo small folks or kids they are the ones needing entertainment outlet.

By patinthecity
on 05/09/14 06:33 AM (PDT)

You made the right choice. Believe me, the overall drivability of the Honda is three steps ahead of any of the other cars you were considering in ways you'd never see on paper; only in the way it drives. Also, the Civic is the only car that has a fully independent rear suspension that truly makes it handle the best and ride the best. I would never buy a car with a twist-beam rear suspension ever again no matter what the cost savings were. They do a decent job when the car is new, but over time when the suspension starts to wear down, that crappy rear suspension starts to show its short-comings with darty handling, and unsettling ride. Finally, you can't beat Honda's resale value. It's among the best.

By tnjyoung
on 05/26/14 09:29 AM (PDT)

@reese1968: The car handles (and sounds) very well at 70mph. I am completely happy with my purchase. City mpg is around 33/34 where I am getting 41mpg on the hwy. Good luck!

By readypro
on 07/01/14 11:07 AM (PDT)

I've been getting a high of 49 mpg in the highway but around 41 mpg on most highway trips. The CVT is not at all what I expected, and much nicer than I thought. The car is very quiet. The speakers in the stereo system are poor. I will be changing those out. Further, the computer does have problems, it disables the passenger airbag at random, also disables the traction control at random as well. Further, when the computer is having a hard time, it will not change music tracks on my Galaxy S5 . But, I like everything else about the car. Love the seats, the dash layout, the push button starting, the trunk size, the electronic entry, the moon roof, and more. I did get aftermarket wheels and tires. I went with one inch wider and a taller wheel. The wider tire does mean I got about 3 mpg less. But the stock tires seemed to wander on the highway, the TOYO tires I got do not. The rear coupe seats are small, but I never put anybody back there anyways, its just me in my household and I almost purchased a CR-Z instead. This way, if I have to put someone back there, at least they have seat belts. Im 5'11" and 300 lbs! yep, and I love the seats! However, the door height is very low, and it is difficult to get in and out of without banging my head on the upper door sill. But if I move my head back a bit, it works. I am very happy with the car. I am a long term CIVIC owner, the last one I traded in was a 2005 Civic Coupe EX with 100,000 miles on it. I expect this one to last just as long or longer!