2008 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great car...but a little sluggish
By jake on 09/12/09 11:43 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

My mom bought me this car as her final gift to me before she passed from cancer in May 2009. I love this car! I love the dash layout, I'm a big guy though and the seats are a bit narrow. Quick around town, but on a recent trip on route 66 to California I noticed on long inclines you have to put pedal to the floor. Lots of "zip" but horrible acceleration in situations where you pull a U-Turn and have to gun it... almost got hit a couple times because even to the floor it's just so slow getting up to speed. Transmission has inconvenient shift patterns too. That's the only bad, all in all it's great little car and I get over 400MPG on the highway!!!

Honda Civic Problems
By Mo on 09/09/09 05:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I downsized from a '06 Audi A4 to a Civic. This car has been nothing but problems. When I bought the car, part of the bumper was scratched and the dealer fixed it. Then my struts were making a creaking noises within weeks of buying the car, the dealer replaced the struts. I complained a couple of times about the air smelling horrible when the A/C was on and they couldn't fix it (they couldn't smell it). The car started to make a ticking noise within the past week and took it into a dealer close to my work. With 31k on the car, the dealer is telling me that I have burned out the clutch and I have to pay $500 for a new clutch! This is a junk car and would not recommend this car.

Need brakes again
By Constance on 08/12/09 15:09 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I just got a major service (tune up). I was told I need brakes again. In less than 2 years this will be my 4th set of brakes. They say it must be that I drive in the city. Well I have been driving in the city 37 years and never had this many brake jobs in so little time.The car sits low to the ground and scrapes the front bumper when parking head in. The inside frame between the windshield and window is so thick and slanted that you can miss pedestrians in a crosswalk. Even the smallest bump makes a big bang and it is very noisy in the cabin when on the freeway. the paint scratches and chips too easy. Gas mileage is not spectacular. I'm sure there is more. Trading this as soon as I can.

Premature tire wear
By mark jacobson on 08/10/09 17:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The Bridgestone tires wore out at 18000 miles. The dealer said that they were out of round. They also got very noisy before they were replaced. This appears to be a HUGE problem for Honda. Their solution is keep putting tires on every 18000 miles and put up with the howling tires until they are replaced. I have talked to 2 of our friends that have the same problem. I asked the service manager if they have fixed this problem since it has been a problem since 2006 and he said "They think they have". I disagree, I KNOW THEY HAVE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Review at 18750 miles Honda Civic
By Umi on 07/14/09 10:03 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I wrote several reviews and will try to keep updating how is my Honda doing. Ok As of today, no mechanical failure. Have a plan to change the brakes at 20K miles. MPG improved from 22 to 24.5 mpg in just in city driving. Tires are fine and have a plan to drive 20K miles with the same tires as I purchased with at 10 miles. Some people complained about tires, I would say that the tires are fine. Also, the brakes will go out on the basis of your driving style. If you are aggressive driver and like to brake so often, I think no one brake will stay alive for a long time. As of today I spent $350. $120 cost me for 3 oil/oil filter change. Plus I spent $230 for air filter change on 18500 miles.

Battery problems
By Fern on 06/25/09 05:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Have been having battery problems. During the winter had problems driving car. Dealership said not using the car a lot and going on short trips would probably do it. At stop lights the car cuts out - I thought it was just me but anyone who has driven the car said the same thing. Drove to New Glasgow 200 km trip - When heading back car wouldn't start - had to call roadside assistance - which I must say are excellent. I have Sirius Satellite in my car - they said that it is a serious drainage on my battery using it. I contacted Sirius on this and they have never heard of this being a problem. My boss has his plugged in all the time and never had a problem.

2008 Civic Gas Mileage
By RHA on 06/23/09 12:49 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

My 2008 Civic LX has 18K miles on it. Wintertime gas mileage around town is about 34, summertime 36-37. Today I filled up full and got 40.1 mpg with all around-town driving. With highway driving, using the cruise control and making sure that RPMs don't exceed 2,000 (so about 60 mph)I can regularly get 47+ mpg. If I increase speed to 65 mph, mileage drops to about 42 mpg, so I lose about 1 mpg for each mph over 60 mph I drive. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money for a hybrid. This car is a gem.

I-VTECH do u?
By jingoboy on 06/22/09 14:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Nice car, Bang for the buck. I love it and won't trade it in for anything. I love the ride except for creaking noise of the plastics when I drive at low speeds. Road noise is pretty high.

Love my Civic
By Hondamom on 06/17/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We bought our Honda EX new during hottest part of summer, and took it on vacation. Very roomy, 40mpg on highway, about 23 in town (very hilly where we live). Air conditioner, heater are fantastic. Is garaged, but even sitting outside in subzero temp days after getting off work, starts great! The car got around on snow and ice fine! Only thing I'd rather have is a higher bumper in front, I've scraped the bottom a few times pulling too close to a curb while diagonal parking, and on ice berms when slushy roads refroze. And backing out of diagonal parking spot when next to a long pickup truck can be tricky. But other than that, LOVE IT!!! Vacationed with 2 teenage boys in backseat, enough leg room.

40K Miles Review
By Mark Tepper on 06/13/09 09:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

The Honda Civic is a safe bet but gets real old real quickly. I have had no problems with it so far but the car is simply boring.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Honda Civic Sedan in NJ is:

$184 per month*