Used 2002 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Hold on to one if you can
By indylta

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. I had 130k on mine when some very poor driver ran into me and totalled it. Man, I know I had another 150k to get out of it. It is noisy at high speeds, but show me a car in its class that isn't. I drive 50% highway and averaged 37 mpg over the life of the car. I'm 5-11 with longer legs and didn't have comfort issues. My friend who is 6-5 did. If you want a reliable, efficient car that will last you until your tired of driving it and then some, stick with the Honda. I wouldn't recommend it if you are bothered by noise at >80mph (mostly wind).

Great Car
By Michael Petersen

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Honda as a 2002 closeout and have never looked back. While the car has picked up a few dings and scratches here and there over the last 8 years, it has not failed to perform. We put 1500 miles on it over 6 days this past summer while running the A/C and got 36 mpg (all before the 110K checkup). Great gas and oil car. Only issues we've had were replacing the front struts and replaced the V-Tech valve. Only complaint is the front disk pads wear all too quickly (40K miles), but other than that, it's a great car.

Favorite Features

Good pickup, great economy, good looks, good ergonomics.

Suggested Improvements

Brake pads --- need longer life. Struts/shocks still sound clunky even fixed going over certain bumps.

Maximum fuel mileage and reliability
By 2620

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

In 02 was considering Jetta, Civic, Saturn. Looking for fuel economy and reliability/longevity. It delivers! 5-speed manual 39 mpg back in 2002 and still 39 mpg in 2010. No problems whatsoever. Gas and oil changes only. New brakes at 150,000. Timing belt and water pump maintenance at 170,000. Mechanic said I could probably get another 100,000 before needing to bring it in again. It's decent in Michigan snow and ice. Road noise from rear end tires or wheels is noticeable. Ride suspension is also harsh over bumps. I feel got my money's worth. I plan to keep it another 4 years (80,000 miles) and then try to find a worthy person to be the second owner of this trusty little car.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. Reliability. Longevity. Economy of maintenance. I would not be surprised to see this car exceed 300,000 miles. The longer it keeps going, the more money stays in my pocket.

Suggested Improvements

Quieter cabin. Softer suspension. I wish a current USA manuf (Saturn dropped theirs) would produce a small sedan / commuter car that achieves 40 mpg.

You Can't Go Wrong
By Nick Hayes

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Civic from a Honda dealership as a certified used car, with around 48k. Now with 90k, I am still surprised at its complete reliability and lack of problems. My civic was hit in a parking lot, and I hit a deer last summer, and not only did it hold up well but it has returned to its original form. Regular oil changes and a set of tires, and this car is easily my best investment. I have the constant itch for a sports car, but know that giving up my civic is the wrong idea.

Favorite Features

Space, Reliability. Has room for a great sound system, very little construction needed to modify speaker sizes, etc. I am very pleased with the gas mileage in this car, as I drove a Jeep Cherokee before. This is the first car in which I need a gas light to remind me to fill up.

Hope all Hondas are this good.
By Kurt Lehmann

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

We have now put 148,000 miles on the car and have only done regular maintenance with one exception. We had to replace both headlights due to cracks and condensation. The car's 4 cylinder is very adequate though has trouble going 70 up hill, but duh. Drives well in snow if you go slowly. Hoping to get another 150,000 miles out of it. The headliner has been coming down for a couple of years, but the rest of the interior cloth has been very durable. Honda dealerships have actually been nice to go to. We've had very good experiences each time.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is good. Seems pretty reliable. Good for commuting.

Suggested Improvements

Sound quality is just okay. Road noise is very noticeable.