1997 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
My Honda
By KT on 12/27/05 05:34 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Sedan Special Edition 4dr Sedan

This is my first car. I got it with 166,000 miles on it and I had it for a year now and there has been no problems with it so far what so ever. The only few minor things that bothers me is when the car accelerates its not as a smooth and quiet as I expected it should be, its kind of loud and and the orange maintance light did not go away when I inserted my key, to set it back to the green light, the leg room in the back is kind of too little. Overall I love my honda and I plan on keeping it as long as I can, hoping it'll last me at least through college. I would definitely get a brand new one when I graduate from college.

Run Forever
By jenthor on 11/08/05 17:45 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Sedan Special Edition 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used with 62,000 miles on it and currently has 107,500 and have changed the timing belt and should be good to go for another 100,000 miles. Never had a probelem with this car.

Great Car
By Nelle on 10/30/05 20:26 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Sedan Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for almost 5 yrs and it drives great! This is my 2nd Honda Accord and they really last. I may pruchase a 2003 shortly. This car is great for a person with a child and limited amount of funds to work with. Only problems I had was my radiator went-just wear and tear.

By far the worst car I've ever owned
By tmm on 08/24/05 18:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I would not recommend purchasing a Honda Accord. My car has been a maintenance nightmare. Since the warranty ended, the car has been in the shop every 3-4 months and has required major maintenance. It once took the dealer over a year to diagnose and correct an intermittent problem I had with the car not starting. I replaced the battery, alternator, clock and other electrical things before they figured out it was the ignitition switch. I'm disappointed and will never buy a Honda or Acura vehicle again. Think twice before you buy...

97 Accord very reliable
By jh0212 on 07/09/05 20:15 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Have a 97 accord 4-dr EX w/ 184K miles now. Very reliable. Has lost a little juice and feels underpowered now compared to newer cars, but otherwise runs great. Only problems/complaints: (1) Warped rotors (replaced once, new set warped again), (2) paint is faded and splotchy now, (3) driver's side window slow to slide back up, esp on cold days, (4) A/C is not very strong, (5) mileage is so-so (about 24 mpg in mostly fwy driving, but I don't exactly obey the speed limit either). Not most exciting handling, but more responsive than Camry or some American cars I've driven. Never get tired of my car. Would definitely buy another or recommend to someone.

Runs Forever
By Runs Forever on 06/14/05 16:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Finally retiring our 97 Accord LX for a new 2005 Accord LX replacement after 209,000 miles. Engine & Drivetrain still going very strong, but rest of car starting to go. This is by far the best and longest lasting car my wife (aka lead foot) has ever owned. Still getting 24 MPG, we have changed the oil every 3000 - 4000 miles on this car and will continue doing the same with the new one.

8 years, and virtually problem-free
By Ann Marie on 06/11/05 10:17 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This was the first new car I ever purchased. Nearly 8 years and 130,000 miles later, I've hardly put any money into it other than regular maintenance and maybe 2-3 repair jobs in the $500 range. My last car, a Ford Topaz, I got rid of after it was 6 years old and had only 85,000 - and that was after the transmission was replaced. I plan on driving this Honda as long as possible, and because it's been so good to me I'm almost scared to buy a different type of car next time for fear that no other can match its reliability.

Modest and Reliable
By Kaizen on 05/24/05 15:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Sedan Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I am the owner of a beloved 97 Accord SE- sedan. The car presently has 200,561 miles and had only had it's timing belt replaced once. The car is still in top running condition and frequently makes road trips out-of-town with ease. The complaints about the vehicle are slim to few in between, however, in 97 Honda needed much improvement in their electronic department- power windows were slow or the window motors burnt out. Overall, a wonderful car. Going this evening to pick up my 05 ex-v6 sedan with leather, nav and xm radio. I am looking forward to the increased power, from 130 hp to 240.. Thank you Honda...

My 1997 SE
By Erik Hoggatt on 05/06/05 11:19 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Sedan Special Edition 4dr Sedan

This is my baby, I take it every where. I drive it to work everyday and would not be afraid to take it coast to coast if needed. She has 230,150 miles on here and have only had services every 60,000 miles except for the timing belt replacement at 105,000 and 210,000 miles. I have the oil changed every 5,000 miles and would recommend this vehicle to anyone who needed a good commuter vehicle, I got 28.9 miles per gallon on my last tank and I'm well on my way to 300,000.

Super Commuter
By LStrick on 03/12/05 21:59 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Love my Honda LX 4dr 5spd. Bought it at 13,000 miles, now have 260,000!!! commute 90 miles one way to work 5 days a week, from high desert Antelope Valley CA over a mountain and down a long freeway into Pomona CA. Gas mileage avg 27 highway at 75 to 80 mph! Blew a seal on FWY at 120,000 miles, repair expensive but COVERED by extended warranty. Power to pass going UPHILL is great! Doesn't corner worth 2 cents, so Angeles Crest to work is short cut, but everbody passes me because I'm slow on the canyon curves. Otherwise outstanding car.