Used 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

A real long term test
By motorbones

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

After 13 years and 252,000 miles, i think it's time a write a review. The engine is all original, and runs as good as the first day. The transmission failed after 150,000, but the new one is flawless. Aside for the normal consumables, I have had to replace one wheel bearing. That's it. That, and the fact that I have two rather expensive cars sitting in the garage, but my wife always prefers the "truck" for it's comfort and ride quality.
I'm sure someone out there will beat me up on how much better they're doing with their Ram or Ford or Toyota, and I can't fault them... I don't know those trucks. But this truck doesn't show any signs that will give it up any time soon.

Rusting away
By Brian

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had fuel line, brake line rust problems, I have also had rear brake problems having 4 sets of brakes on the rear since purchase. Very disappointed in this truck. Steering noise problems. And from talking with other owners these problems are common place with GMC and Chevrolet 2001 trucks.

None

Better quality steel and go back to rear drum brakes.

Still love it after 9
By CLIFFMO

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

110000 mi and still original brakes and I tow a 5th wheel. Always serviced at dealer. Driver's seat leather needed replacement - outside edge, otherwise excellent wear and reliability.

Tow-Haul an asset. Great sound system. Many compliments

Rear door should open wider - remove rear inside door latch - people bump heads regularly

I will cry the day I sell it
By a misplaced Texan

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

5.3L V8 is a damn powerful engine! More so with a few aftermarket goodies. We absolutely love this truck, chose it for being much sexier than Chevy counterpart. I am a street truck enthusiast, and appreciate that the aftermarket is chock full of parts/accessories for my truck/engine. I only marked down on comfort b/c you can find a roomier back seat in a smaller truck (Dodge Dakota Quad Cab). We have two kids in car seats and I am a six-footer, so the back is getting pretty cramped. Also I thought the SLE should have fancier "upgraded" materials in the interior. Fuel economy is not great, but better than you'd expect from an engine that size - a little maintenance goes a long way in this truck.

1) The whine of the air passing through the K&N intake and throttle body spacer. 2) The growl of that 5.3 comin out the Gibson cat-back exhaust. 3) Speed controlled volume on radio is kinda cool too.

You can't improve upon perfection! Unless GMC decides to build them with the 572!

I love this truck
By drgroth1

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven this truck cross country several times, a few of these trips required towing another car behind. I went through Colorado and had no trouble keeping up with the rest of the traffic even though I was fully loaded and towing a loaded car behind me up the mountains. I have driven in snow in Minnesota and even though I do not have four wheel drive I did not have any problems, I did have snow tires installed. I get 20mpg, which is great for a truck. I cannot say enough good about this vehicle.