2001 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
A real long term test
By motorbones on 12/23/13 17:08 PM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

After 13 years and 252,000 miles, i think it's time a write a review. The engine is all original, and runs as good as the first day. The transmission failed after 150,000, but the new one is flawless. Aside for the normal consumables, I have had to replace one wheel bearing. That's it. That, and the fact that I have two rather expensive cars sitting in the garage, but my wife always prefers the "truck" for it's comfort and ride quality. I'm sure someone out there will beat me up on how much better they're doing with their Ram or Ford or Toyota, and I can't fault them... I don't know those trucks. But this truck doesn't show any signs that will give it up any time soon.

Rusting away
By Brian on 11/06/09 17:58 PM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had fuel line, brake line rust problems, I have also had rear brake problems having 4 sets of brakes on the rear since purchase. Very disappointed in this truck. Steering noise problems. And from talking with other owners these problems are common place with GMC and Chevrolet 2001 trucks.

Still love it after 9
By CLIFFMO on 12/09/08 10:03 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

110000 mi and still original brakes and I tow a 5th wheel. Always serviced at dealer. Driver's seat leather needed replacement - outside edge, otherwise excellent wear and reliability.

I will cry the day I sell it
By a misplaced Texan on 07/23/07 22:41 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

5.3L V8 is a damn powerful engine! More so with a few aftermarket goodies. We absolutely love this truck, chose it for being much sexier than Chevy counterpart. I am a street truck enthusiast, and appreciate that the aftermarket is chock full of parts/accessories for my truck/engine. I only marked down on comfort b/c you can find a roomier back seat in a smaller truck (Dodge Dakota Quad Cab). We have two kids in car seats and I am a six-footer, so the back is getting pretty cramped. Also I thought the SLE should have fancier "upgraded" materials in the interior. Fuel economy is not great, but better than you'd expect from an engine that size - a little maintenance goes a long way in this truck.

I love this truck
By drgroth1 on 02/10/06 14:32 PM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven this truck cross country several times, a few of these trips required towing another car behind. I went through Colorado and had no trouble keeping up with the rest of the traffic even though I was fully loaded and towing a loaded car behind me up the mountains. I have driven in snow in Minnesota and even though I do not have four wheel drive I did not have any problems, I did have snow tires installed. I get 20mpg, which is great for a truck. I cannot say enough good about this vehicle.

excellent vehicle
By kbgmc on 10/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

2001 GMC Sierra ext. cab 5.3 liter, 38,000 miles. Excellent truck, no problems, the 5.3 is quick. mpg not the best, only 16.5-17. no problems. recommend GMC to anyone.

Problems to plan for
By pretell on 06/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Be aware that when you get your GMC, on the freeway or expressway that you will feel "freeway hop". This is a problem that GMC knows about but will do nothing to fix. Because most people will not test-drive a new vehicle on a freeway, this is a problem that will not show up until that first time you drive your new truck on the freeway, and think the alinement is out, and take it back to the dealer, only to be told that GM is aware of the problem, and put a lot of weight in the rear of the bed. Contacting the 1-800 number did not produce any results either. Hope this helps at this one other person before they buy.

Best truck we've had so far.....
By P&CSmith on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We just purchased this truck. It is a very nice and comfortable vehicle to have. We have averaged around 18 to 20 miles to the tank this has been in city so far. It is a quiet ride also. We use to have a ford ext. cab with a 1 ton chassie 4x4 (diesel)and the only thing i can tell that is different is you can feel the small bumps on the road more. Thats only because we were used to a heavier truck. I would highly recommend this truck as of today

GMC Hard to Beat
By William henry on 01/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Absolutely almost 3 years trouble free use, everything from pleasure driving (500 mile trips) to hauling hay or livestock. Never a wimper, never a miss. Pull a 4,000 pound tractor plus implements and trailer and you never know you have anything in tow using the tow mode. Will surely buy another.

Looks aren't everything!
By Hawkman on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

SLE Ext Cab, Sportside,5.3, tow, HD suspension. The truck rides like a frikkin' wagon train. Absolutely loathe driving iy. I don't understand how everyone says it rides great. I'm going to put Bilstein's "comfort" shocks and hope it provides a cure. Other than its ride, the truck is great! Nice, comfortable and roomy inside. Looks fantastic! Reliability has not been an issue. Has more shakes and rattles than I prefer. Gas mileage has been consistent around 16mpg. Contemplating a Radix supercharger. Decent power is not enough. I'd recommend buying this truck, but looks alone does not make for lasting love.