Used 2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Fun to Drive
By ckline

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I only owned this truck for a few short months. But right away the truck proved itself to myself and my wife. I was hit broadside by a Honda which resulted in a rollover. I sustained only a broken arm because it hit the curb. The passenger cabin fared a lot better than I would have expected in this type of accident. Had my young son been in the truck with me, I am certain he would have had almost no injuries. Certainly a tribute to Ford engineers. I will definitely buy another.

Seats had excellent support

3.0 V-6 was underpowered for the vehicle, could benefit from a supercharger.

Thinigs to keep in mind.
By Donna Grimes

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Rides rough, but it`s a truck. Most problems covered by extended warranty. Transmission wouldn`t shift properly, anti-knock box had to be replaced and gear shift lever was to move into gears and turn signal was replaced. All this before 40,000 miles.No power windows or locks, SPORT model has 3.0 liter engine, with air conditioning on between 200 and 250 miles on a tank of gas.

Handles well on smooth road surfaces and with loads 500 lbs. or less. Rear doors are nice feature and sliding rear window.

Power door locks only with keyless remote. Rear window with a defroster. (I live in the midwest) Heated mirrors and more ground clerance. All in a inexspensive option group.

Scrap yard material
By DOsborn

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I purchased the vehicle about a year and a half ago and have had nothing but problems with it. I have had ABS brake issues, fuel sensor problems, transmission problems,oil pressure sensing problems, rust problems, and more stuff that would take too long to mention. The reliability of this auto is terrible and it's plague with numerous technical service bullitens and recalls. You would think that a vehicle who's design has remained unchanged for the last 10 years would have all of the bugs worked out of it. If you are looking for a good truck, don't look to Ford.

The gas cap. It's one of the only parts which hasn't failed yet.

Ford should declare bankruptcy

Good truck for the $$$
By cookees

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Bought this truck new in 2000. Put on an aftermarket cruise control.(works great). Have the 3.0 liter V-6 with automatic transmission. Outfitted with chrome wheels and a tonneau cover, I actually get some very favorable comments on its appearance. I tow a small ski boat and it seems up to the job. All and all I'm pleased with this truck.

Looks, reliability(so far)

Was really disappointed with fuel economy.

FUN HANDY LITTLE TRUCK
By Roy Wagelein

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

BOUGHT MY TRUCK NEW IN 2000. LAST FOUR DOOR IN ARIZONA AND I WAS NOT TO PLEASED WITH THE COLOR THEN. RED. PAINT JOB IS GREAT AS ARE ALL EXTERIOR FITS. MOTOR COULD USE SOME MORE JUICE, BUT JUST FINE FOR DRIVING UP TO PRESCOTT OR PAYSON AND FLAGSTAFF. TOWING IS A LITTLE SLOW GOING UP STEEP GRADES. SO IT TAKES 5 MINUTES LONGER TO GET WHERE YOUR GOING. NOT ONE PROBLEM YET. IT IS MAINTAINED EVERY THREE MONTHS. THAT'S REALLY ALL I CAN SAY NEGATIVELY ABOUT THE TRUCK. POWER AND MILEAGE. I COULD HAVE GOTTEN THE 4.0 LITER, IF THERE WAS ONE IN FLEET SALES.

BED SPACE, SEATS, REAR DOORS ARE HANDY FOR SHOPPING AND CONCEALING ITEMS. PAINT QUALITY. GREAT LOOKING. GREAT SOUND SYSTEM. YES, I LOVE MY TRUCK! NUF SAID!

RATTLE AROUND GLOVE BOX AREA. GAS MILEAGE. TOWING POWER.

• SUV