Used 2009 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Fantastic car!
By Jeanne

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have never been so happy. I've driven in the mountains of NC twice and was suprised at the handling and the gas consumption. I feared giving out in the middle of nowhere but it did not happen. I love the way it handles. It does well in the wind and in heavy rain. Good breaking and great speed. I have actuall driven up to 90mph and the handling was still terrific. Up and down mountain (steep) roads was a breeze. The gas milage is so great that if $4.00 gas comes back I won't care. In town I get about 36 mpg and up to 44 on the highway. I check my log at each fillup.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, exterior, trunk space, handling, front interior

Suggested Improvements

More legroom in rear. Ability to move driver side seat further back. Better interior cloth on door panels. Lower deck panel.

Very enjoyable
By Douglas Lower

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 5th Focus purchase.I picked a black ext./Taupe int.This was an automatic SE.I loved the taupe over the black interior.I was extremely impressed with the improvements over my pre 07,05'S,03 versions.My only disappointment-no wagon or hatchback models.Mpg was amazing on the freeway,42-45 mpg.It did better than my 09 Honda Fit.The Fit was better in the city though.The Focus was an excellent, relaxing car to drive.I felt safe in it.If you do not need cargo options this is the car to buy.It does have a large trunk.I combined the best qualities of both my cars and traded them both in on a loaded 2010 Kia Soul Sport.

Favorite Features

Taupe color interior,Sirius Satelite Radio,The handling and comfort of the drive.The gas mileage was fantastic for this size.Feels solid.

Suggested Improvements

Clean up the interior trim around the rear window,to many seams,looks busy.Bring back Station Wagon and Hatchback models for people wanting more cargo options.

Solid compact car!
By brrugger

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I decided to buy my '09 Ford Focus SE during the Cash For Clunkers. I test drove compact and midsize cars from every manufacturer except Toyota and Honda. I love the car after almost 5000 miles I have averaged about 33 mpg 40/60 city/highway driving. The car has a very comfortable driving position and the car is easy to drive. Sure its not a rocket, but I don't feel the need to race people from stop light to stop light around town. However, I have no issues merging or passing on the highway. The brakes are solid, and the car gives a confident feel on curvy roads and in windy conditions. The dash materials are hard to touch but all things I routinely touch are soft and feel nice.

Favorite Features

I love the sync system, the voice controls are very accurate and useful when in heavy traffic. It only took a minute or two to synchronize my phone and address book with the system. The cars small turning radius, it makes parallel parking a breeze. Also, the trunk is surprisingly large.

Suggested Improvements

A slightly longer console arm rest, and a rear dome light. No major complaints!

Good fuel economy with power
By andrewnali

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle offers good fuel economy with enough power to enter the freeway. So many times with small 4cyl you feel as if you're going to be run over when merging onto the freeway. Not with the focus. Lots of niceties that we are still finding. I am a large man 6' and the small car still feels roomy. My wife 5' can adjust the seat and see over the steering wheel. The small things that the design engineers have incorporated into the car are very pleasing for longer road trips ie sync hands free phone and radio. You can set up the car to email you when the oil needs to be changed. Only complaint is the lower quality upholstery. You should consider and definitely test drive one.

Favorite Features

Sync, Steering wheel radio control, Safety:abs, traction control. ambient lighting height adjust driver seat

Suggested Improvements

Improve the upholstery quality 5,000 miles and wear is beginning to show on driver seat and floor mats.

Solid Little Runner
By Gary in WI

2009 Ford Focus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a new SEL with two options (ABS/ESC and Auto Tranny). I now have 3000 miles on the odometer and the car has performed flawlessly. Gas mileage has been good - 35 mph and getting better. I bought this car as a daily commuter, putting on 75 miles per day and in this regard, it has been ideal. I looked at Madza 3 and the Mini Cooper, but the price-point and simplicity of the Focus appealed to me. Also, having rented many small cars, I have had better-than-average experiences with the Focus. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and would do it again.

Favorite Features

Rides "bigger" than its actual size. I also like the high seating position

Suggested Improvements

I'm a tough critic and these are are minor,but need to be pointed out. 1) No rear seat dome light (it's like a cave at night). 2) No dash truck release 3)The SEL's fake fender vents are UGLY. 4)Center armrest should be higher & more forward. 5) Compass/ temp should be std. Told you, I'm tough!