2004 Ford Focus Consumer Review: Incredible for the money!

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Review

ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Incredible for the money!
By Joseph Kissel on

2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Focus when a fireman returned from the wreckage of the World Trade Center and decided life was too short to be driving a Focus hatchback -- even one with the Euro-tuned suspension and ALL the goodies. So he traded it in for a Mustang. I've driven both, and the Focus ZX3 is much more fun, functional and funky. Two years later I still sneak into the garage to admire it. Save for one bad start, it's been as reliable as a gas stove. Inside, it's roomy without being a hog on the road, in parking spots or at the gas station. In short, there's a reason it's the only "cheap" car on Car and Driver's 10 Best List four years running.

6 CD in-dash player. I laugh when I see that as an option on "luxury" cars. Great handling. Sometimes it almost scares me how precise and quick the steering is. Interior design. Some people may think it's too wild, but everything else in the segment makes me yawn.

I suppose the 2.0L engine could be a bit quicker off the line (the new engine probably adresses that issue), but the manual tranny helps, and on the highway it loves cruising at 90 mph. Stereo is good but could be louder ...