2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
best and worst truck i ever owned
By marknkim444 on 05/08/14 12:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

04 f150 5.4 i love the looks of this truck. i love the drive and comfort of this truck, unfortunately i will probably never ever buy a ford again. This truck will cost you a fortune to keep\. first of all everything on this motor will tick or clack at some point. the cam phasers will without a doubt cost you 1800 to fix once or twice. Thank heavens they are 100000 mile spark plugs because they will cost you a min. of 800 to change. Ford will not even think about helping you with all the ticking until your factory or aftermarket warranty runs out.This was my fourth and last ford.

Engine Problem
By Eric on 05/17/10 15:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 XLT 5.4 Crew Cab something in the engine broke around 77,800mi when I was doing about 45mph. Tow it to the dealership to have them look at it. They believe the crank broke because it does not turn. The dealership contacted Ford to see about help with the problem and Ford said out of warranty its their problem. New engine thru Ford around $5,000 then labor it would cost $7,400. I also talked to the reginal rep. for Ford that takes care of Gorno Ford and she said you're out of warranty. I told her that I know I am out of warranty but I should get more then 78,000mi after spending over $32,000 dollars. I ask to talk to her boss and said she has no boss to answer to. FORD TOUGH

Ford That Has Done It's Job
By F150 Crew Cab4WD Sty on 05/05/10 19:06 PM (PDT)

This truck has been most of the time a pleasure to own. Now have 256,000 miles on this truck. Has performed well with the exception of the famous spark plug issue. Dealer broke off two plugs had to pull head to repair. Very expensive experience. Dealer was not willing to accept the bulk of the expense. Have replaced rear axle seals. After this many miles should expect some repairs.

Sweet
By Scott on 01/09/10 09:37 AM (PST)

great truck! I have had zero problems on it and its up to 120000 miles the truck runs great and I have put it threw alot of junk. It does amazing in snow and I can count on it starting in - 30 degree temperatures. I will not get anything but another ford for my next vehicle, but i don't plan on it any time soon because this truck wont quit.

Watch Out for Spark Plugs
By mwd on 09/13/09 06:39 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The Good: Awesome looks and terrific interior room for 5 people that can also pull a boat. Great comfort. The Bad: Transmission has had trouble with leaking seals and shakes intermittently on the road. Spark plugs!! Really bad design. Even Ford mechanics can't get them out routinely without breaking them off in the cylinder head. You get the charge for the additional labor to fish them out. Changing plugs on this model can cost anywhere from $500 to $1500! If you buy this truck used, make sure this has already been done or take it into account when pricing.

Not what I expected from Ford
By em_libra62 on 06/28/09 17:36 PM (PDT)

Bought my truck new in 03 when the new body style was announced. Loved it then. Now have apx. 75000 miles on it. AC not working correctly, does not cool well. Have had trouble with drivers window, back passengers window and the sliding rear window. Had to have the sunroof replaced due to the frame "cracking". It's a nice truck, but expensive to keep running. It has been reduced to my weekend car.

Think Again
By Bill on 02/05/09 16:12 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

After I bought it, I loved it. However, there were rear end problems twice, then the drive shaft, now the rear end again. I have babied this thing and it can't seem to handle simply driving down the road. It is a 4x4, but I don't trust the drivetrain enough to do anything with it. The engine also makes alot of noise, but Ford said this is normal due to 5W-20 oil. I would look elsewhere if I were you.

Impressed
By bigdog on 01/03/09 20:30 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew XLT 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I worked for two summers to save up for my first car and I am so glad I chose this one. I payed about 2000 under KBB for the truck and am really happy with my purchase. The only problem I have noticed is that when large amounts of water run off of the back of the roof small amounts leak into the vehicle. I have since been informed that it is a defect with the upper brake light and will get it fixed soon. The four wheel drive is far beyond what I expected and I have pulled out two Dodge's and an FJ cruiser thus far. Soon to be lifted as well

F150 4-Dr SuperCrew Lariat
By 4-Dr SuperCrew Laria on 10/24/07 16:16 PM (PDT)

Whilst the F150 looks great, the vehicle has experienced problems with the steering wheel "shimmy" at 65- 70mph. Also the electrical componemnt that controls the a/c, heated seats have failed?

Great Truck
By Michael on 09/18/07 12:55 PM (PDT)

One the highest quality vehicle I have ever owned. Only major issues after 65,000 miles were a bad solenoid for the locking hubs and a temp gauge that is 6 degrees off. OE tires were borderline, and interior cloth stains quite easily. Interior quality was much better before they sourced this stuff out (yes, I worked at Ford years ago and still hold the competency of the truck group high). This thing has been down a lot of washboard dirt roads and on rough narrow two tracks and is still tight. K&E filter helped gas mileage a bit. Go with the 6.5' bed if you haul any lumber or want to use the bed for overnighters.