2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Consumer Review: The best of both worlds

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Crew Cab - Consumer Review

The best of both worlds
By TNTrac on

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Rwd 4dr Crew Cab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was tired of maintaining both a car to carry folks in and a truck to carry big things in, so I bought my Sport Trac almost three years ago. It's the vehicle of choice when the family gets together to go out or on vacation. Backseat riders say the backseat is as roomy or roomier than that of any car I have ever owned. I love the looks of a truck, and the Sport Trac lets me drive a car/SUV that looks like a truck. The small bed is sufficient for my needs, although I admit it may well not be for some folks. Also, I have noticed that the number of men and women who drive the Sport Tracs I see seem to be pretty equal, so the Sport Trac is in many ways a crossover vehicle.

Favorite Features

Power back window, locking and folding factory tonneau, rear seat that holds adults comfortably for long distances, exterior appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Poor standard stereo/speakers, cheap/hard plastic interior, no rear assist handles, leather steering wheel and trim around radio controls flake/scar easily--generally the interior is pretty cheap for a not-so-cheap vehicle.