Used 1990 Ford Aerostar XL Minivan Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Aerostar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:

Still Going 20 years later
By 90Aerostar

1990 Ford Aerostar Minivan XL 3dr Minivan

I love this van. I bought it new, and have driven it since then. It is comfortable and maneuverable, and has suited my needs. It has never failed to please me, in driving, in parking. I can use it for carrying people or lumber, as the back seats are easily removable.

My favorite feature is the back door, opening upward, allows me a generous place to put my groceries and purchases.

The only unfortunate thing about the van was that Ford cheaped out on the primer that year, and it really didn't hold the paint on the exterior. This didn't affect its driving ability, but my car wasn't the most attractive one in the lot after the paint washed away in the rain.

I liked it.
By dawn

1990 Ford Aerostar Minivan XL 3dr Minivan

But, you have to replace the transmission, I've had two Aerostars and had to replace the transmission in both of them, but otherwise, I really liked the van.

The seats are very comfy.

Better transmissions.

A Great Piece of Junk
By RustBucket88

1990 Ford Aerostar Minivan XL 3dr Minivan

What an indestructible piece of junk! It has 160,000 miles. It has rust through the body, none of the accessories work, the interior is torn up, the paint is peeling and the suspension is shot, but it just keeps going. It needed a new transmisson, but that was due to the previous owner's neglect. We drive it like we hate it. It needs a quart of oil every 500 miles and always needs coolant, but we maintain it and it keeps going. The only other items repaired were a broken brake caliper and door latch. This vehicle is used for dump runs, driving off road and is driven hard on the highway, but it keeps going. The gas mileage is terrible (less than 15 mpg), but it isn't driven economically.

Indestructibility. This vehice is a garbage truck, off-roader and people-hauler all in one. It looks like a roach but never fails or leaves us stranded. It is also relatively comfortable. Its boxy shape is also good for hauling junk.

Power. 135 hp 3.0V-6 does not move 2+ tons of vehicle very well. It needs full throttle most of the time and sounds like it's going to blow up, but it doesn't. It will, however, maintain 90+ mph on flat stretches of highway quite easily. Traction is poor on wet roads. Tires spin too readily.