Used 2009 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews - 320 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Journey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Journey model:

Do Not Buy
By Megan

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle is a hunk of junk. I purchased it used with 80,000 miles on it and in the first four months of ownership - the transfer case cracked causing the drive train to fall off entirely. My check engine light came on for an emissions sensor. I've also just been told that I need new rear breaks, a new ball joint, AND hub. I bought this car because my last vehicle had the engine seize on me. I was in great need and made a quick decision - never again. I'd rather flinstone my way to work then drive this car another month. On top of all the repairs that are required - there's also a recall out there for the airbags not deploying in an accident. Great. Will be trying to sell it back to the dealership because I'm sick of feeling unsafe in my vehicle.

Overpriced piece of crap!
By Jillian Robinson

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

**DO NOT BUY THIS CAR** I payed over 20,000 dollars for this car I have had it for 5 years and I have had to replace the breaks and rotors 3 times. I had to replace the tires three times, When it rains water leaks into the car through the vents and the lights and the car doors which then leak down into the floor compartments and has caused mold. The DVD player screen has not worked in 4 years I am sure due to water damage since water constantly leaks in. The interior is horrible everything is falling off and apart on the inside. The transmission is horrible. I have had to replace the fuel injectors twice. The car has cut off on me several times while driving. Occasionally the car does not start up the antifreeze leaks out which I have had repaired but it still leaks. Many electrical issues. Its a damn shame for dodge to make such a crappy car I am not rich and I have spent so much money from the purchase to the repairs and dodge does nothing I will never buy a dodge again!!!

Great vehicle if you don't drive. Buyer Beware
By Ray W

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car has a multitude of problems. Had to replace brakes after 20000 miles. Transmission clunks when backing up from day one.Dealer cannot fix or find the problem. All of the CD's flew out one day hitting my wife in the head. Cannot use CD player. Heater has not worked for 2 years. I have had many things done to heater , but only works for a short time. It is now in the garage for a new heater core. Cost is $1100.00 . Battery is under front wheel and is a pain to replace. dealer wants $120.00 to for labor to replace battery.Wal Mart will replace for no labor costs. Valve stems are brittle and break off easily.

The definition of Dodge is: TO AVOID!
By Sundevildaddy

2009 Dodge Journey SXT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

All your needs covered.. Once a month!
Statement describes how frequently the car decides to start.. When she runs, she runs like a raped ape.. again, when she runs *sighs*
First it was the ignition recall: scary as h*** losing all power and control at 70mph.. About once every 3 months. Finally got the L25 recall notice (2 days after first highway-shutoff).. Delay after delay from dealerships on parts ("oh we have parts..just not all of them")..finally had the recall performed, 2 years later (ironically, after the Feds slapped them with a monster fine for dragging their collective feet over completing recalls).
Now our '09 Journey makes beautiful yard-art. 3 batteries later (and numerous, frantic/exhasperated phone calls from the Misses ) I drop in a Red top gel-cell.... Same problem 2 days later. Turn ignition and "clickclickclick".
We stopped using the remote/security because of the complaints we've read (and verified by a dealer).. Nope. Not the problem.
Now I get to tear the car down and trace/clean/dielectric and anti-corrode every stinking lead and plug on this beast (have you seen the harness? O M G!)
Not worth the money or the hassle folks. Avoid at all costs!

Nice Car - If You Can Get It Started
By Dennis Schulmeister

2009 Dodge Journey SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

For some reason, after passing the 50,000 mile mark, the 2009 Journey decides if and when it wants to start. Dealers have numerous guesses - most of which make no sense - but no one seems to have found a permanent solution. Dodge doesn't seem to care if the owners are satisfied or not. They have known about this problem for several years and have offered no ideas.

The dealers will tell you that their computer has determined that your battery is bad - even if you just spent several hundred dollars replacing it. In most cases it isn't the battery. For some reason the anti-theft starter lockout system engages and the starter will not operate.

Another problem (in my estimation) is visibility. The windshield pillar/outside rear view mirror location combination allows for a significant blind spot where whole cars can disappear. The very large mirror (great size!) housing should be suspended from the top instead of the bottom. Mirror would still provide excellent vision to the rear of the car and it would substantially decrease the size of that blind spot.

Bottom line is that the car is above average in almost everything including the frustration it causes the owner because of the unreliability issue. I suspect the resale value will come up quite a bit if the starting problem is ever solved. THANKS DODGE FOR MAKING A VERY NICE VEHICLE THAT BECOMES USELESS AFTER 50K MILES!