Best car I've ever owned
By yamahr1 on
2011 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
The Volt has debuted to a record number of awards for one new car, but also a lot of controversy. If the car had a Toyota badge on it, even Edmunds would be hailing it as the reinvention of the automobile. But alas, many just won't let their old GM baggage go. I say all this because it's been obvious on forums like this that people who likely don't own a Volt are posting intentionally negative reviews to burn it. Like I'd be very suspicious of cornell1 here. As such, I wouldn't believe a clearly hostile review unless the person can prove ownership. For me, just go to the Google Picasa photo site and look me up, yamahr1, where you'll find pics of me getting my car.
Favorite Features
The electric drivetrain is superb. Combined with a rigid and nicely balanced chassis, and quick and direct steering, the car is a delight to drive. The clear displays excel, and the feature set, like the hard drive entertainment and navigation system are awesome. The neutral beige interior is handsome and well-finished. Rides very quietly, and transition to gas mode is seamless. Yes the engine can be heard then, but no worse than any other 4-cyl. car. Still, the magic is while the battery is still running the show. Also love the looks and have received many compliments on it. It should also be mentioned that GM has been giving a lot of personal attention to Volt buyers. Attractive lease deal
Suggested Improvements
While the car is great as it is, for the next generation I'd like to see even longer battery range, and the ability to charge it even faster than the 4 hours it takes with my 240V charger. Would like express up power windows all around (now just driver window only.) Sunroof option would be nice, as would some more configuration options for the central display, such as simulating analog gauges. Finally, build something like the Cadillac Converj concept (using Voltec power) and that could likely replace my Volt after its 3 year lease!