2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Built to take it
By z71gripper on 02/06/12 19:36 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drove my Z71 for 120k miles and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Might be the best vehicle I will every own. I remember everytime I got behind the wheel I thought it can't be this good everytime. It never let me down. For one stretch of near 10k miles I didn't reset the full mpg meter and the gage leveled off at 18.7 mpg. That was excellent for a 5.3L Never did a repair other than a couple of minor jobs under warranty. Reliability was superior to any.

Awful!
By jessicaw1 on 12/13/11 13:18 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Ours has been nothing but a problem! They dent VERY easily. The engine light comes on for no reason that the dealer can find. The cd player broke at about 30,000 miles. The console broke at 40,000. All the gauges stopped working at 45,000. When we are in neutral, it read 50 mph, when driving at normal speeds it maxes out. The glove box fell out. The 4 wheel drive got stuck on. It was stuck on for 3 days and was making an awful noise. We finally got it back in 2 wheel drive and the noise is still there. For its age, it has low miles and is not used for anything out of the ordinary. Not even driven everyday. Horrible truck, WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!

dont buy a chevey truck
By mattcmore82 on 06/04/11 12:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a 2005 chevey silverado crew cab with 52k on it and have had one problem after another. All problems were descibed as very common to fix buy the chevey dealer. I have a very noisy rattling from under the sterrling colum also rattling from the a/c vents and lots of interior lights going out all the time. The dealer told me to fix all these common problems it would be about 1000$. These problems are small but every expensive to fix. I have also had problems with the factory cd player/radio making a buzzing noise threw all speakers and the cd player doesn't even work.

2005 Chevrolet Silverado
By Bill on 02/25/10 12:50 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

75,000 miles on Vehicle: Replaced brakes at 15,000 miles, 40,000 miles, and 70,000 miles (I have not historically been hard on breaks); Replaced Torque Converter and rebuilt transmission at 40,000 miles; Replaced Intermediate steering shaft at 40,000 miles, 60,000 miles, and 75,000 miles (grease repacked at 30,000 and 70,000). This is apparently a known issue with many models of GM vehicles. Replaced front wheel hub assemblies at 65,000 miles; Transmission clunk while turning at low speeds and accelerating from stop since truck was new. Told by two dealerships that this was a known issue that cannot be resolved. Cannot recommend this vehicle.

My favorite of 8 trucks
By RIck in Houston on 08/02/09 15:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned 8 GM manufactured pickup trucks since about 1990. They all performed well. Based on my experience, I wouldn't consider another brand. But of all of the trucks I've owned, the '05 crew cab is by far my favorite. Little things like dual thermostat, 60/40 split front seat, e/q for stereo & more made this truck a bargain. I bought it new, changed the oil, put 2 sets of tires on it & one battery. That has been the extent of my maintainence. Runs like a top, great on gas, what can I say? I hate to let her go, but it's time for a new one.

Love the truck, hate the reliabilty
By waterville new york on 10/28/08 19:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I really do like the truck, it's the reliabilty have the problem with. I have had many, many brake issues. The driver front wheel kept locking up and over heating to the point that you could smell it and if you spit on the wheel it would sizzle. Back and forth and out of the shop and until they finally figured out it was a caliper puck heating up and not releasing. I also had the rear differential go, both universal joints, the 4WD always clunked when going in and out and now the electric 4WD shift has issues, the front tie rods. To summarize everything. When it was new it was great but as the miles started adding up it the truck just began to feel loose. Would not buy another Chevy.

Decent Truck
By Truck Lady on 09/25/08 18:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I like this truck. It handles well, mechanically has only had one problem and that is the tempermental a/c and heat control. I had it replaced when the truck was 3 months old. It went out again shortly after but we had already put 360,000 on it so we couldnt get it replaced. So most of the time it works, but not always. Seat backs are uncomfortable on long drives. Instead of being flat they wrap around and our backs get wedged in and ache after a while. I have to take a pillow for traveling.

2005 Chev Crew Cab Short Box 4X4 Z71
By LJP on 10/04/07 18:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is one of the best designed Chevy trucks I have owned. Everyone I take for a ride likes the 4 doors and roominess. The comfort is better then most cars I have driven. The match of crew cab and short (5'8" bed) is a perfect blend for my use. The 5.3L coupled with the limited slip 3.42 axle is good on mileage and acceleration. The fuel tank is large enough to get me where I need to go with minimal stops at the outrageously priced gas pumps. All in all, this truck was a hit even with some complaints that I had / have.

Enough, I'm ready to trade for Tundra
By fish_a_lot on 07/31/07 22:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I too experienced the rattly loose steering shaft. Truck developed the drive line clunk at 5000 miles. Repeat fixes helped but not solved the problem. Lately the drive axle had to be replaced. This breakdown occured while towing my boat. The Tow Mode switch also died on its own. All work was covered by warranty. I'm scared what will happen after the warranty expires with 5000 miles left to go. To that end, I'm trading it in for a new 2007 Tundra. First new vehicle bought, last Chevy I will buy.

Love my Silverado!
By LizC864 on 05/02/07 09:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Best vehicle I ever owned. We recently bought a new Honda Odyssey and I drove it for a month before giving hubby the van and taking my Silverado back. There was nothing wrong with the Honda, it's a great vehicle, but I just love my truck.