Used 2004 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

A Well Proven Durable Truck based SUV
By Garth

2004 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Chevrolet based this compact SUV on their S10 pickup. This means that it is a truck based SUV which is some what of a rarity in today's world. The down side is that this adds weight but to me, I plan to own this truck for a long time and the frame offers some great jacking points. The power trane is based on the Chevrolet 350 V8 minus 2 cylinders so the basic design has millions of development miles under its belt. From a service stand point, the push rod motor eliminates the need to replace a cam belt which is an expensive requirement on many of its competitors. The automatic transmission offers electronic control which helps with drivability. The truck is a proven design which I prefer.

In 2003 Chevrolet offered port fuel injection on the motor which improves cold weather starting and lowers exhaust emissions. They also added a balance shaft to the motor earlier in the production cycle to cancel vibration as the V6 - 4.3L design was affectionately known as the "Shaker".

They do not make this truck any longer in NA so making improvements is a moot point. They use Billstein shocks and a twin piston ABS caliper on the front discs which helps with braking. The bottom is covered in a series of plastic panels, which if made of steel would enhance off road performance.

Good Value Especially When Used
By Stape

2004 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV is quiet and comfortable. The front bucket seats are soft and very comfortable. GM improved the engine design over the years and my 04 has port fuel injection which helps the throttle response and mileage. Power is adequate. The 4 speed auto tranny is well proven being developed in 1997. It has electronic control. I added a tranny oil cooler to extend life. The car has good visibility. I am impressed with the under carriage fiber glass covers, which will be useful for keeping snow off critical parts although they will not offer the protection of steel components. The Billstein shocks are outstanding! Front brakes with ceramic pads and dual piston nice with ABS! Average stereo. Buy!!

4 WD - Well proven power train - outward view is good. Seats are comfortable. Good buy on the used market. Full frame SUV - excellent jacking points. Billstein shocks and ABS are a nice touch. Nice trap door on the front skid to allow access to the oil filter. 2003 and newer are port fuel injected.

The steering column makes it difficult to change the plug on the middle cylinder on the drive side. Be sure to install a platinum long life plug. It took me over one hour to change one plug. Be aware that you need to use only Dexcool antifreezze as there have been issues with mixing antifreeze.

solid
By busdt

2004 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 2dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a very reliable truck. Great in bad weather and off road driving. The cargo space is nice with the seats down.

4X4. ground clearance.

better positioning of the back seats when down to allow the drives seat to go farther back. external spare tire could be lower for better view.

HOOD
By BOB

2004 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 2dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2004 Blazer used and I love it, the beefy tires and the fold down seats are great, I got a manual trans and I love it shifts smooth and the 190 hp isn't to bad either.

Stick shift

Power windows with the stick

Go Chevy! It's your birthday!
By Soulfinger

2004 Chevrolet Blazer LS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd vehicle ever and my first chevy and suv. I am so pleased with this vehicle i have considered moving into it. Its the perfect size for someone like me afraid of bigger SUVs (for now anyway). Its very hip and stylish inside and out. I got a great deal on it. Like I said i have never driven a Chevy but i am confident in thier quality and dependability. I am a happy Blazer owner and would serioulsy recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a fun and reliable suv.

My favorite feature would have to be the rear folding seats. It makes a trip to the drive in movie theater that much more fun!

The only area that concerns me is the gas mileage. With gas prices rising everyday, a more fuel economy engine would be great. Even still, I am coming from a small Volkswagen and I knew gas would disappear faster in the Blazer but I got it anyway because I believe in Chevy.