Used 1999 Buick LeSabre Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Buick Lesabre - Consumer Reviews

1999 Buick LeSabre

View reviews for a specific LeSabre model:

Most Helpful|
I love it
By SM

1999 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

Great car. Needs nothing except for the usual; tune-up, oil change, etc. Fun to drive. Surprisingly powerful. Great fuel economy 29mpg hwy. A little too comfortable. Roomy. It is very low profile .

Favorite Features

It is a solid car. Rides quiet. Will last you forever if you don't drive like an idiot.

Suggested Improvements

Console needs to be more stable.

Don't buy this car it has a GM defect!
By Mike Naveau

1999 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

I was schocked to see all the other positive reviews. This car is a ticking time bomb and GM knows it but won't do anything about it. It should have been recalled. They used a plastic plenum part in the intake manifold cover that melts. No getting around it! Possible problems include coolant leaking, head gaskets blown etc, all very labor expensive repairs that will cost in the $800 dollar range. I bought this car used at 48,000 and spent 600 dollars on that repair. Two years later at 75000 spent 800 on a head gasket. Don't buy this car unless you want to keep pouring money through the hole that will develop in the plastic part that GM won't issue a recall on.

Suggested Improvements

It's a done deal. Gm already corrected this on it's updated 2000 Lesabre Model. However, nobody, I repeat nobody should buy a LeSabre from the model years 1997-1999 unless they want to keep pouring money into fixing GM's error by using a plastic part that melts instead of metal!

The Plenum theory, a story of an intake
By tony b

1999 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

I have put on 40,000 miles since buying this car. No problems, great ride etc, except two weeks ago I became stranded because of the plenum burned out and coolant was logged in the lower intake causing the piston to stop thus stopping my car in the middle of nowhere. I had to walk for miles before a gentleman stopped and offered me a ride. Why was this part (egr) made of plastic and not metal...to save $.20 on each one? Now its going to cost me over $600. to repair it.. Good engineering. One thing is for sure and that is I will stick with Japanese cars..My last was an Acura and I sold it at 181,000.miles.

Favorite Features

Interior design

Suggested Improvements

You know what to do...don't be so greedy just to enhance your profit margin.

Think Buick
By johnasazi

1999 Buick LeSabre Custom 4dr Sedan

The best gas mileage for a car of this size! The gas mileage is better than my sister's Chevrolet Cavalier! Although the styling and seating may seem outdated, this is a great find! If you are looking for a car that has plenty of room for passengers and their cargo, this is the car. It is not meant to be a "fun handling" car. It is meant to be a very comfortable way to get from place to place with a minimum of disruption, which is quite important to some of us who refuse to drive like we are in a NASCAR race! See the 'Buick" emblem, and leave us alone.

Suggested Improvements

Offer power lift and swivel seats for those of us who have a hard time with out joints!

Best bang for the buck
By Randy

1999 Buick LeSabre Limited 4dr Sedan

This is my 3rd LeSabre, 1st was a custom w/ Grand touring, others were limiteds w/ grand touring. (I have also bought for my in-laws) the fisrt 2 went well over the 200k mark, and I expect this one will too. No, its not the most prestigeus car on the road, but is definitely a best buy! Lots of amenities, great ride, good handling for a large sedan (w/ GT), zero problems on all three except routine maintenance. Can't say enough about the value. buy one 3-4 years used, low miles, pay 1/4 the value of new ( about $7K) change the fluids and drive. Also an excellent buy for the college student or aging parent (make their day, buy them a Buick!) Definitely reccomended.

Favorite Features

Gran touring suspension, cornering lights, steering wheel controls, engine, low maintenace, good MPG, large trunk, smooth driver

Suggested Improvements

There are always ways to improve anything, maybe add express up and down windows at all 4 corners?