1996 Buick Century Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.2L 4-cyl. 3-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )
my first car
By breazy love it baby on 03/14/10 12:31 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

i read a comment about it not being good for a teenager its all how you look at it. I was 17 when I bought the car from my dad. at first I was hesitant. Then I fell in love. It was reliable, smooth to drive , and so comfortable. I think its all the way you look at it I don't want to say the car fit me but I fit my car. mine was a custom edition. Well I am not quite sure it said custom on the exterior, but on the dash it said limited so I loved it and I think no matter the age this car is perfect. sad story mine was stolen and everything was ruined the leather was torn engine, taken out the list goes on. Now I am on the search to own my champagne colored whip once again.."it's all krystalle"

So many still on the rooad
By Been Around on 05/25/09 16:35 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Florida, drove it around the country, through snow, rain, sleet, desert... It has always been reliable. Recntly I parked in a parking lot in our SMALL town and there were five Buick Centuries, from !980's through 2000 models. Little things like power window failures go, I replaced struts, but with regular maintenance, these cars seem to run forever, get good gas mileage, and my giant dog can spread out in the backseat!

How old are you?
By boshsb on 10/13/07 21:44 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

Car is a good first car with outdated styling(they kept the body from the early 80s to mid 90s) and bad handling. Bad understeer tendency that is exaggerated by wet weather. I got the car at 90k and killed it around 115k. Stock struts are miserable and I killed a total of two front pair. Went through 8 tires on it (1sets rear, 3 front) until it finally died, the differential went out, but not before the rear window motors starred going (hence not my fault, the diff was). If you are good though, it can out handle a Civic due to its ability to power out of turns. It can do burnouts, drifts and anything else you make it do, but it will fight you all the way.

This Century is nice
By Jayson on 05/28/07 19:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is great. Extremely nice suspension, handles good, drives nice. Close to 200,000 miles and the engine and tranny are real good. Great cruise control. And the body is excellent also.

Great car ... until now!
By Kim on 02/02/06 11:02 AM (PST)

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

My car only has 50k miles on it - it has never left me stranded. We recently had an incident where it was in park, with engine running, in someone's driveway. After I got out of the car, it automatically locked and about 7 seconds later rolled forward on the uphill driveway. It hit a car in the driveway and a house. Upon impact of hitting the house it unlocked. My 2 children were in their carseats in the back seat when this happened. Mechanic finds absolutely nothing wrong with it. We have had no problems with it before this.

Best used car I have ever bought.
By Beatle412 on 01/09/06 18:26 PM (PST)

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

Works fine, had very low mileage when I purchased it and it has never left me stranded. I have had to replace a few routine things on the car, as with any car. I do notice a tendedncy for the 3.1 to have excessive noise. I was told that this is due to some of the rod lenth being off by thousandths of a second.

My Lemon
By Century Special on 09/02/05 09:52 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

Since the day I bought the car brand new, I've had problems with it. The dealership did nothing but blame it on my tires. It has front end shimmy so bad, I can't keep tires on it. The window motor failed. The door lock broke. The intermitent windshield wipers were just that...intermitent. They worked when the felt like it. The heater died. The brakes had to be continually replaced. I have not one good thing to say about this car. Don't buy this car.

Grandpa likes gGandma's car
By russ on 05/14/05 15:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

Oned it for 9 yrs,no major problems,yet little plastic things like to break off like the slide buttons on the radio or the knob on the front seat adjust or the plastic handle on the emergency brake. B after nine years of use that can be expected...still runs good and that is the most important part

Solid reliabble ride
By triple J on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is hands down the best vehicle I have owned! It has never let me down, and the original engine & tranny have well over 100K miles. Fuel economy is not bad, especially considering the V6 power that the car has. In my opinion, GM's 3100 engine ranks right up there with the 3800 for the best engine GM has EVER made. Great car!

1996 buick century special great car
By sorrel on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Buick Century Sedan 4dr Sedan

very dependable car smoothest ride imaginable for the money lots of convenient options amazing gas mileage- 30 mpg hwy !!!!