Good But Not Great
By rudycassap on
2013 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 6M)
After telling myself not to do another BMW since I hate turbocharging, I went and did it because of the lease deal. Also, the cars are getting to be soft while Mercedes offers sport versions of their cars and regular tires (no run flats). Why didn't I go MB? This is not a bad car. It is just boring to look at and boring to drive. The M sport package helps but the sport suspension tuning is still soft.
Favorite Features
Standard 550i features such as navigation, rear view camera, park distance control, hard drive for storing music, paddle shifters (car is an 8 speed sport auto).
Suggested Improvements
Make some models like the 550 naturally aspirated. This car would be so much better with the V8 from the e39 M5 (2001-2003) or with the e92 M3 V8 (2008-now). The twin turbos do not provide linear power, so driving around town is awkward. Seats are not comfortable.
By oilman5
on 05/22/13 18:51 PM (PDT)

I bought a new 550I in Sept and now have driven it approx. 15000 miles. During two of my long drives I experienced a low oil level warning and had to interupt my trip to go to the local BMW dealership to have oil put in the car. The car has used three qts of oil in 15000 miles. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of issue. I like to drive on long trips in sometimes remote places and I am concerned. Tried to get local dealer to give me a couple qts of their oil but they declined..