2011 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
I've driven the compettors and I'm happy I bought the BMW
By rdpalmercu on 09/21/14 17:30 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I like the car. My parents have been mercedes fans since I was 16. Two s classes at one point for awhile. But I drive my father cls 550 and it is no more fun to drive and have a young family (2 & 4) than either the s- class which has the in headrest dvd players... okay, those are worth it they're nice. I have never been in position to afford such a car but I tested them all, the a6 came closest. It cost me roughly 35 with a 100k warranty, 24k miles on it when I bought it, premium package 2. Better acoustacics than the mercedes s class. Considering a new accord v-6 or maxima cost more I think it was a wise choice for an inevitabley poor investment.

Overvalued lemon
By ragril on 09/09/13 09:58 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I've owned this car for almost two years. My first and last BMW. How much I regret this purchase. The ride is rough, noisy and irregular. This car has a problem. There is something wrong with the ride. It shudders and vibrates badly. Yet, the dealer has been useless. They find all sort of excuses in order to dismiss my concerns. It is supposed to be normal!!! When my beloved Honda Pilot 2006 rides smoother and straighter than my $60,000 2011 BMW, you can tell this junk is worth nothing. So much for the ultimate driving... scam!

Disappointment city
By nomore528s on 06/22/13 20:22 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I have had two 528 sedans in my life. The first was a 2000, and the second was a 2011. I picked both of them up at the facility in SC and drove both them to CA Lotsa' fun was had both times. The 2000 over the time I owned it was great... not a lick of trouble. The 2011 was more disappointing than my first wife. The first issue was those useless tires, one of which failed 3000 miles from home causing me to have to spend three nights in a hotel while a dealer ordered a replacement. Unacceptable! The next issue was the computer telling the power steering to stop working. Another computer glitch finished me. I traded for a 2011 Crown Vic. I'm much happier. Hitler was Bavarian too.

2011 528 lag machine
By jkmj9999 on 01/04/13 22:12 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

it sucks !! don't buy it .. maybe for your grand parents .. step on the gas.. either lags or burst into speed (sport mode) from time to time.

Transmission Problems
By noles01 on 09/07/11 10:06 AM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

This is my third BMW 5 Series and I'm afraid it's my last...... The transmission hestitation at low speeds is absolutely maddening. It's much worse than any turbo lag. I wish i still had my 2008 528i. I've taken it to the dealer three times and was told "it's just the nature of the beast and there is nothing we can do". Sure wish I would have read about the conerns posted here before I leased this car for 36 months. Four months and four thousand miles of misery. Doubt I can last. My new Bimmer is a Bummer. Any ideas?

2011 BMW 5 Perfect Balance of Art and Function
By el168 on 06/28/11 20:43 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Nice performance from a beautifully designed BMW! Base model could use a little more HP, excellent sound system, luxurious interior

home link problems
By njoylife on 05/31/11 21:49 PM (PDT)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

i just purchased the new bmw 5 328i it a great car. its a show stopper this is my second bmw in three years. but this is the hardest car to program the homelink pls tell me why.ive played with this. trying to program for 4hrs please tell me what im doing wrong

Hesitation Problems driving me crazy!
By wonmarco on 02/05/11 09:19 AM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I would think twice about purchasing this vehicle. I have had a big problem with surging and hesitation at low speeds. The dealer has insisted that it is normal with the adaptive transmission, but I can assure you it is not normal! (Google BMW F10 transmission problems and you will see the problem is widespread). The sad thing is that I really love the rest of the car, but after spending $50,000+, I don't think I should be dealing with this. It really takes the pleasure out of owning the car.

2011 BMW 528
By windsurfing1 on 01/27/11 18:38 PM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

My previous BMW ownership included a 1998 528 and a BMW 328 convertible, owning these cars have turned me into a BMW fan. Then I bought this 2011 528 with reasonable amount of expectation, but it turned out to be a big disappointment. I only have one complaint about the new BMW, and it is a substantial one. The new 8 speed transmission has a almost turbo lag kinda delay followed by a surge of power when accelerating in low gears, probably because it has a adaptive mode trying to learn your driving style, that drive by wire feature alone kills the overall driving experience of a bimmer.

Still Happy with it after a month of driving
By michaeljdiesen on 01/05/11 11:03 AM (PST)

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I got my 2011 BMW528i about a month ago and wanted to drive it a while before commenting on it. I purchased it as a replacement to my 1998 BMW528i that I had for 13 years! Now for the review: The interior is luxurious! The iDrive is new for me but after a few weeks of getting used to it, I like it. Why no touch screen though? The stereo is nice but could be a little better. The front seats seem cramped to me, maybe narrow the center console a bit? The automatic transmission seems sluggish until you shift into sport mode. The exterior is flawless. I haven't noticed any problems with the run flat tires but have been warned by many people to expect it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 BMW 5 Series in VA is:

$150 per month*