Follow-up review after 2K miles
By Michael on
2009 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)
Driving in about 4 inches of unpaved snow, slush and ice: In straight lines it accelerates and stops under complete control. To test out the traction around corners, I took a couple turns at relatively unsafe speeds, close to 15 MPH. The DTS flickered and appeared to do something, but it definitely felt like I drifted out of my lane. During sensible speeds, drifting was not an issue. Slight hesitance may be confused with skidding, but its actually DTS doing its thing to keep you on your intended path. X-drive is very capable. However, I honestly feel Subaru sets the bar when it comes to AWD technology. Basically if you're looking for a luxury AWD coupé, look no further.
Favorite Features
I really like how the windows slightly open/close when entry/exit from the vehicle, ensuring a snug window-frame to frame-of-car contact. Nice touch! You can really get a feel for the quality of build just by closing the heavy trunk lid. Seriously. Open and close one.
Suggested Improvements
RFTs are pretty loud, please make these an option. Standard security system! BTW, the iDrive is a very unnecessary feature.. only get it if you drive automatic :) The iPod integration works wonderfully by itself. FYI, keep doors unlocked when fueling, else the fuel gun may kick prematurely