Used 2004 BMW 3 Series 325xi Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Best wagon I've ever owned - Hands down
By amishthunder

2004 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased my wagon used from a local dealer after selling my Subaru Outback. I was turned off initially by the stiff steering, but now I am hooked with the "driving experience" this car gives - including the seemingly stiff steering. Being in Colorado, I experience many different driving conditions ranging from hot 100 degree dry days down to subzero and totally ice covered roads. This wagon has exceeded my expectations, and outperforms any of my previous Subaru's AWD systems. This car inspires confidence in any driving condition, and the attention to detail and level of engineering is outstanding.

Handling in any condition, headlights, ride comfort, simplicity, overall build quality - To name a few. For those of you who like to wrench on your own cars, this vehicle is surprisingly easy to work on, and shockingly most parts are at your local AutoZone (example - I needed a new front CV axle...$90, and in stock at AutoZone!). Most new cars are not designed with a home mechanic in mind - This one is - Very few specialty tools are required I've found. As for the transmission, I never thought I'd like an auto, or ever use a "tiptronic" feature, but I like this one, and use tiptronic often...I normally only get manual transmissions.

Premium unleaded only is a pain, although this car gets consistently 28mpg on the hwy. The stereo lacks a lower-end "punch," but it's not that bad. The central door locking system is finicky, but once you know the quirks it's OK.

BMW = Practical
By Kenny

2004 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wife and I had our first kid and dumped a minivan for the BMW wagon. She loves everything about this car. The AWD is good in the snow and 2 Britax car seats fit comfortably in the back with the armrest down. With enough space to pack all the kiddie stuff in the rear, my wife loves the ride, stability, safety, and overall ride of the wagon. Who's kidding... I love driving it too.

Performance... enough said.

Gas is poor for in-town (~ 20 mpg). Could use a power outlet in the rear seat for DVD connection and more cupholders. I guess if you want 13 cupholders and a DVD player drive a minivan!

A Great All-Rounder
By Helios

2004 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Our first BMW. It's difficult to summarize why we love this car so much - let's just say it does everything well. All the components work together perfectly. Athletic and refined at the same time. Driving it can be relaxed or exciting - you choose. Options can add up quickly, but do yourself a favor and spring for heated seats and park distance control. The stock halogen headlights are the best I've ever used - no need for Xenons in my opinion. The 2.5 liter engine's fine above 2500 rpm and absolutely loves to run at highway speeds.

The suspension never fails to amaze me. While we don't have the sport package, the stock setup w/ 16-inch wheels still provides beautifully responsive handling without beating us up. BMW did a remarkable job. We also like the Steptronic with three settings - automatic's smooth and manual's fun.

We have yet to drive in snow, but it sure feels fine in the rain. Absolute control. Build quality is rock solid through nine months; the radio quit once but the dealer replaced the module and that was that. If you really enjoy driving, the 3-series is worth the money.

I love this car
By TMD_BMWLover

2004 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car. I've owned it for only 3.5 months, but its my second BMW (I also own a 2002 X5), and this is one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever driven. I wish they offered the M3 in an AWD version, as I would have bought that for the extra power; but don't let the stated hp mis-lead you, as this car provides more than enough acceleration to make for a very enjoyable ride. I shopped this against the Audi A4 and A6 Quatro's and the Infinity AWD model, but you simply can't beat BMW on performance and handling - I highly recommend this car.

The placement of the second cupholder is my biggest pet peeve about this car. Its placed in such a location as to require the movement of the armrest in order for you to use it - for a car of this calibar, one would expect the BMW engineers to be a little more creative.

BMW
By JZuehlke

2004 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle surpasses all other sedans without question. BMW continues its legacy as the ultimate driving machine.

Xenon headlights, smart key, overall driving experience, brakes

None