1996 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Worth It
By kyley1 on 12/26/11 19:43 PM (PST)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Ive had my 1996 A4 Quattro for about a year and a half now, and i love this car. Its very entertaining to drive, the 5spd shifts so smoothly and the all wheel drive makes the car feel solid and stable no matter what conditions you're driving in. My car has been very reliable lately, but when things break, you're gonna feel it. I shelled out 700 dollars to fix an oil leak, just because of the awkward design of the engine. If you find a well maintained one, go for it because you wont regret it. But be very strict on your initial inspection of the vehicle.

Repairs! Repairs! Repairs!
By lovesit22 on 04/24/08 21:22 PM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I don't know if the prior owner just ran the car down, but I've had to replace the heater core, two oil pans, and $3000 of other repairs I couldn't even remember. I love how the car looks and drives, the interior is so nice, but dumb things break. Like the sunroof went out and the vents broke, just little things but they add up. I'm hoping to get a newer Audi and not have as many problems! But it's great in the snow!

Love my Audi
By jteen55 on 03/30/08 22:02 PM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I bought my A4 at 201,000 and it runs like a dream. After a few simple maintenance repairs (oil change and new battery) it quickly became the car of my dreams. Every now and then it likes to act up, but I chalk that up to its quirky personality. I wouldn't trade my 96 A4 for my friends 95 A6 if you paid me. For me my car is absolutely perfect and amazing. I cannot sing higher praises to my car. I love it.

Great Car but Expensive to Maintain
By mthomaslawrence on 10/22/07 14:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I do appreciate the bulletproof reliability of Honda (Acura) and Toyota (Lexus), but the driving experience does not even come close to that of a good German sedan such as Audi or BMW. If you are looking for strictly gas mileage and reliability, those cars are the way to go. But when you compare the feel of a Acura TL, for example, to an Audi A4 of the same year and price, the Audi is more solid and refined. In other words, the car has character. The Audi is the older, more mature brother, solid and stable without trying to be. Just like all the finer things in life though, it comes at a price. That price is maintenance costs that would most likely triple that of your average Japanese car.

Good, if you can find a maintained one
By J Wood on 05/20/07 23:53 PM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this from a good friend of mine. There were all the service records from new until 89k when I got it. Now at 107k I have replaced the cat converters ($100 - I got universal ones - they work FINE!), the alternator ($165), and the plugs and wires ($130). That's it as far as maintenance. Now, if you want to keep this car affordable do the easy stuff yourself! Taking it to the dealer is a horrible idea - there's nothing magical about an Audi. I have spent hundreds more in extra modifications, but they weren't necessary ;-) If I could do it over again though I would get a 1.8t or the 30v 2.8 (98 and up). The 12v in the 96 and 97, while reliable, is pretty slow.

Awesome car
By whtbowtie on 02/04/07 21:45 PM (PST)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

If you're reading this you were in my shoes, I bought my Audi with 107k and it was awesome from day one, precision turning car felt secure to the road. All parts are expensive, I put 15000 miles on my car in the last year and I would recommend this car to everyone. But be sure to test everything before you decide to buy-> ALL ELECTRICAL, lights, wipers, windows, climate control and watch for the air bag lights. My only problem with the car was the brakes, Audi/VW has a problem with air in the ABS pump, if you get air in there you end up with locked up brakes only when you go into antilock. Something to test when you test drive the car. Quattro = never getting stuck.

OVER 160K AND THE CAR JUST WONT DIE
By Tom Cannone on 04/16/06 09:05 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I loved the style of the A4, smaller then the A6, its a little more nimble then the bigger Audi cars in the line up. I have a limited GOLD package that was offered in 3 different colors only, black, green, and white. This car has just about every option available, heated leather seats, sunroof, BOSE audio, QUATTRO, ski bag, heated washer nozzles, alloy rims, everything! Plus a nice slick shifting 5spd to add to the fun. The car has 166k and the damn thing just wont give up, the engine hums and the famed AWD is near flawless in any weather condition, luxury, style, and class appeal are very noticable in this car, not to mention its made for all year 'round weather. I'd buy another 10 audi/vws

Audis are the best !
By Mehdi on 10/27/05 01:52 AM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I had my A4 for 5 years, got 100k miles on it. And still runs smooth. You will never have engine problems if you maintain the car well. After switching to an Audi, I couldn't drive Japanese anymore. This car is just a mixture of sport and luxury if you will. Especially the 5 speed manual Quattro. You feel that the car sticks to the ground in sharp turns and the engine is ready to run for another 100k miles (as long as you take care of it). I love the interior design, especially the wood trim. There is little space in the back seats, but the driving comfort is perfect. I also love the smoothness of the manual transmission. I like the shape of this car better than the new 05 model.

Great Car!
By Julio on 09/08/05 20:43 PM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I'm telling you the Audi A4 Quattro has won me over all the cars i have ever driven in my life. I had a Mustang V6 and its no comparation to the Audi A4 Quattro. I bought my Audi with 124,000 miles and it's unbelivable how good it feels with all those miles, when i first test drove the car i though it had much less. Let me tell you I believe that if you purchase an Audi A4 with alot of miles but with alot of repairs done you better off. The car looks great and runs great. The Quattro system is really nice in the rain and in any road condition. I really believe that its price is worth for this car!!! GREAT CAR!!!!

Automobile Work of Heart
By ryancp85 on 06/10/05 13:03 PM (PDT)

1996 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This Audi is a gem to look at from every angle. Looks better than the 96' 3 series and the 02' A4. Quattro gives snow days a blast and you can do all sorts of tricks in the snow. Before purchasing this, I would find a friendly mechanic who can work on Audi's. Don't bother taking it to a dealer and only bring it there for only changes and minor work.

1 2 3 4 5 next »