2003 Acura RSX Type-S - Consumer Reviews

Type-S 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (123 reviews )
Fun to drive, high revving car.
By bpayne on 03/28/07 09:45 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Another great car I have owned. This car has a sporty look to it with the optional A-spec package offered by the acura dealership which includes spoiler, lip kit and upgraded suspension rims and tires.

Have Clutch?
By Johnny Rotten on 12/26/06 13:39 PM (PST)

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This vehicle was the right car for the right price, wanted something with good gas mileage and fun to drive. At 3000 miles the clutch slipped, took it in, couldn't find a problem. At 20,000 miles the clutch was shot, they replaced under a 'good faith' warranty. At 40,000 miles clutch slipped again, couldn't find a problem. At 49,000 miles the second clutch is shot, had to be replaced. Told me it was a wear and tear item and I had to pay for it. $1400 later, I'm getting my one year warranty out of the clutch and then getting rid of it. It likes to go fast, but doesn't like to stop. Brakes need improvement. The Bose sound system could be a lot better. I've heard Bose before, this is no Bose.

Wonderful Little Car.
By JDA on 10/15/06 10:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Picked this up used as a 2 year placeholder, and now I'm rethinking the decision - in a good way - as in I might keep it longer than I thought. A great car. Excellent mpg, reliable, quick, handles great (for what it is), well-designed, sporty looking, low-emission vehicle. If you fold those back seats down, you can cram a lot of stuff back there. I feel like I'm late to the party on this model and now it has been discontinued - what a shame. The only negatives - small back seat, and overall the car is really small and light. I worry about safety, especially when I drive my little girl. In sum: if you like to drive curves fast, but you need a commuter, you will like this car.

Head and Heart both Love It
By Beltway Driver on 02/23/06 06:42 AM (PST)

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my RSX Type-S in September 2003 as a commuting car for a daily drive around the Washington beltway, and it's helped me survive the area's brutal driving conditions in style. The car is a great value in purchase price, in gas mileage and in the low operating costs/perfect reliability. At the same time I still get a seat-of-the pants thrill every time I rev it up to merge onto the highway or whip around a curve. I looked at many other cars before buying; none compared in style and driving pleasure in this price range. Road noise and stiff seats are a small tradeoff I'm happy to make for this much sport-driving pleasure.

Amazing, but could be rounded out more
By John on 06/29/05 16:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned this vehicle for about 23 months now and I drive about 2000 miles per month. My driving is about 1/2 city and 1/2 freeway and I've taken it on some longer road trips also. It has great gas mileage, great acceleration and tight steering and suspension. The seats definitely get uncomfortable, but they also let you feel the road in a sporty way. After the first few hundred miles, I thought the 6-speed transmission was broken, but it turns out that Acura just makes 'em "different". Third gear is a little odd (you'll probably grind it from time to time, even if you're very experienced). The BOSE sound system is nothing special compared to other luxury sound systems.

Full Obsessed Customer Review
By Paula on 06/04/05 18:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Gorgeous, classy, sports car! Definitely worth the money if you have it, can be pricey though (gas + payments). Can race and blow others out on the highway. Is discouraging to drive in cities where there are tons of stop lights. Small and compact, but still seems to fit all my stuff in it. Friends are little squished in backseat. Haven't had any under the hood problems with it yet (at 36k). The leather does have to be taken care of because it is stretched tight and wears out in spots. Not a big deal though. Best clutch-smooth shifting. Good in the snow (for Colorado). Side air bag for passenger automatically shuts off for small kids in front seat. Fold down back seats to trunk. Lumbar support on/off

Acura/Honda's Rule the World!
By umbclacrosse on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car is the best for the under 25K coupe class. Great performance, car is as solid as a vault and you know re- sale value and long-term reliability are a given.

It's sweet
By pteman on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have had my RSX-type S for a year and a half. I bought it initially because I wanted a reliable, but fun car and I haven't been disappointed yet. The only problem I have found is leaving it alone...I'm scared someone might breath on it wrong. I love my car.

RSX Type S is a great car
By A great car on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

this is a great car. I am a previous owner on a VW VR6 and I feel like the RSX type S is worth the money. The VW gave me so much problem that I had to give up on it(good acc. and power but piece of junk things starts to fall apart on the first half of the year). with the rsx type S, I feel the boost without having to waste money of paying for an expensive car. car haven't gave me any trouble yet and show no sign what so ever. fun to drive. Great exterior design and handling. overall great car. very happy with the buy.

1.5 Year Update
By S_T_S on 06/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my RSX-S for about 18 months and found it to be very reliable and great on gas (26-33) even if you thrash it. Great interior design and the hatchback provides loads of space. However, some things are starting to annoy me: The seats are great for holding you place around corners, but get painful after about 1 hour as they are hard and flat, Third gear can be hard to engage, The engine basically makes little power until 6K and after that gets really loud, Stock tires squeal around even moderate speed turns.