Used 2003 Acura RSX Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Rsx - Consumer Reviews

Type-S 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (123 reviews )

Happy
By Sharon

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I happy with my acura. I bought it from a private party and the previous owner kept it in great condition. Fun to drive, really happy with the fact that the back seats drop which creates a good space to store stuff. Draw back. Dash rattles, and the headlights begin to dim.

Long term owner
By New Oregonian

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned the car since 2003 - never thought I would have it for six years, but I keep trying to find something that has a better blend of performance, fuel economy, practicality and overall fun. I've driven so many cars because I want to want another car. I never keep cars six years, but it would cost 40k+ to buy a car that would top it even now. For reliable, fun transportation that handles really well on twisty roads - throw a bike in the bike and go.

Favorite Features

Transmission - shifting was perfect from day one. I almost bought a WRX and had to walk when I felt the chunky shifts. Almost bought a BMW 128i, Lexus IS 250, Mini Cooper - just couldn't do it. Oh, and I get 35 mpg on the highway - sometimes 40, and that's since day 1.

Suggested Improvements

The car's entry level Bose system is nice but otherwise it's pretty plain. Seats haven't cracked in six years but they're not super comfortable. Turning radius is terrible - worst thing I can say about the car.

Great all Around Car
By Brandon

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Bought this car as a replacement for my 95 bmw M3 and have no regrets. Performance is great, handles well especially for FWD, shifter is smooth and throws are short. Plenty of trunk space for luggage or a trip to the beach or wherever your headed. Backseat is a bit small for normal sized people, kids and people under 5'5 shouldn't have it too bad back there. This car is well rounded, performs well but is still well suited as a daily driver. Suspension is a little rough and the shifter vibrates at times. Tire roar can get old. Understeer and body roll are almost non-existent. Close your eyes (but not for to long) and you feel like your driving a Honda s2000. This is really a great all around car.

Favorite Features

Top end power. Sound of the engine especially at 6k rpms. Interior design. Controls are all well placed and simple to use. Plenty of interior room and trunk space. Transmission is smooth, crisp and throws are short. Everything just seems well placed in this car.

Suggested Improvements

Tire roar!! Gets very annoying. No low end torque makes it feel like a civic below 3500 rpms. Shift Knob vibrates at high speeds. No center arm rest makes cruising somewhat uncomfortable. Seats are a bit hard.

Sporty and fun
By Joni

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This was my first Acura and probably not the last. The car has awesome acceleration, great handling and is very fun to drive overall. Decent gas mileage, lots of looks, six speeds and the classic tell tale headlights (I like the 02-04 look better than the later 05-06 models). The third gear does grind from time to time. You really have to carefully place the gear to avoid it. Also this car is incredibly connected to the road. You hear and feel every little bump... a good thing if you're driving a sportier car, but tiresome if it's also your daily driver. Finally the insurance on this car is outrageous.

Favorite Features

Six speed, roomy hatch, acceleration, gas mileage, exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Lots of road noise, bumpy ride, grinding third gear.

Outstanding
By Geo

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great car. It has fuel efficiency and it's amazing to drive. I have owned it for 4 years now and I wouldn't change a thing.

Favorite Features

6 speed. Comfort. Fuel efficiency.

Suggested Improvements

Not applicable.