Used 2003 Acura RSX Type-S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Acura Rsx - Consumer Reviews

2003 Acura RSX Type-S

Type-S 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (123 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Amazing, but could be rounded out more
By John

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned this vehicle for about 23 months now and I drive about 2000 miles per month. My driving is about 1/2 city and 1/2 freeway and I've taken it on some longer road trips also. It has great gas mileage, great acceleration and tight steering and suspension. The seats definitely get uncomfortable, but they also let you feel the road in a sporty way. After the first few hundred miles, I thought the 6-speed transmission was broken, but it turns out that Acura just makes 'em "different". Third gear is a little odd (you'll probably grind it from time to time, even if you're very experienced). The BOSE sound system is nothing special compared to other luxury sound systems.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, tight and sporty steering and suspension. Quick acceleration. Extremely low and predictable operating costs - maintenance on this thing is CHEAP and nothing has ever broken (except for a headlight that was only working from time to time until it was replaced.)

Suggested Improvements

Lots of road noise gets tiring quickly. Seats could be a little more comfortable, and for an Acura one would generally expect power and heated seats which would be a nice improvement. Would also like to see HID lighting and a GPS navigation option.

Make awful howling noise
By Cheens

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

A big disapointment. While driving on highway it makes a loud howling noise comming from passenger side. I brought it back to the dealer a week later. They hear it but refuse to fix. Does anybody have this problem. Please email me at din99o@yahoo.com

Favorite Features

6 gears and 6 in dash cd changer

Suggested Improvements

Have better Acura personal. That can Fix problems.

Long term owner
By New Oregonian

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned the car since 2003 - never thought I would have it for six years, but I keep trying to find something that has a better blend of performance, fuel economy, practicality and overall fun. I've driven so many cars because I want to want another car. I never keep cars six years, but it would cost 40k+ to buy a car that would top it even now. For reliable, fun transportation that handles really well on twisty roads - throw a bike in the bike and go.

Favorite Features

Transmission - shifting was perfect from day one. I almost bought a WRX and had to walk when I felt the chunky shifts. Almost bought a BMW 128i, Lexus IS 250, Mini Cooper - just couldn't do it. Oh, and I get 35 mpg on the highway - sometimes 40, and that's since day 1.

Suggested Improvements

The car's entry level Bose system is nice but otherwise it's pretty plain. Seats haven't cracked in six years but they're not super comfortable. Turning radius is terrible - worst thing I can say about the car.

I'll drive it till it dies
By angz415

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I am the third owner of my 2003 RSX Type-S and I can't say enough postivie feedback about it. I'm currently at 170,000 miles and the only major repair that I've had to do is replace the clutch (which was more expensive because of the clutch's location and the man hours required to get to it). This car drives so well. Not only is it fast and fun, but the front wheel drive make it easy to contol in rain and snow (just so long as your have some ground clearance). I also love the hatchback feature. The seats in the back fold down and you can store a lot in there.

Favorite Features

The 6-speed manual transmision and the hatchback.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back into the Acura line-up! This is a great car and I can'r understand why they discontinued it.

Best car ever
By tchoughs

2003 Acura RSX Type-S Type-S 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car a few months ago, and ever since I first test drove it I have been in love with it. If you are looking to buy an rsx, understand that it takes a certain kind of person to live with this car, as it is rough, bouncy, harsh and generally unforgiving. My rsx has many modifications, but I would love a stock one just as much. I have never experienced any problems that have not been caused directly by me. This car handles beautifully despite the fact that it is fwd. I had a huge bias against fwd but this car changed my mind. It can even drift!(sort of, this has just been an experiment by me) I highly recommend this car. Also VTEC!

Favorite Features

Everything. Exept the stock shift knob as it is weighted strangely, but this is an easy fix.

Suggested Improvements

Shift knob, ride height(lower is better)