2014 Acura MDX Consumer Review: Acura Venza

2014 Acura MDX - Consumer Review

Technology Package 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 6-speed Automatic)

Acura Venza
By bgf18 on

2014 Acura MDX Technology Package 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, we are seriously disappointed. We made the mistake of trading in our 2011 MDX for a 2014 before we had a chance to live with it. Acura has, unfortunately, transitioned the MDX from being an SUV to a minivan-shaped SUV, much like the Toyota Venza. The vehicle is shorter, fatter, and longer. If you need or want an SUV-shaped minivan, then this is the vehicle for you. Also, if you like navigating touch-screen menus while trying to stay on the road, you'll love the new MDX.

Gas mileage, good acceleration for an SUV, streamlined interior design, fit and finish. Acura also vastly improved the map menu and voice recognition features. It is also quieter then the MDX it replaces. The adjustable suspension and steering work fairly well, although the sweet spot is probably in between the "normal and sport" settings. A properly tuned, non-adjustable suspension would have been fine.

While the cabin design flow is pleasing, some materials are cheaper than the previous MDX. The leather is noticeably degraded in feel and grain and the seat cushions are thinner and feel less substantial. The front seats are terrible. Short seat cushions leave our thighs hanging off, which is particularly uncomfortable on long trips. The touch-screen interface is dangerous and frustrating to use underway. Somehow, Acura ruined the ELS sound system. It is nearly devoid of bass (lighter drivers perhaps?). The exterior of the car looks like a larger version of the RDX and not a flagship SUV. Acura was hell-bent on reducing weight and did not factor in the sum of those efforts. A pity.
By schnides
on 05/10/14 08:39 AM (PDT)

Apparently you are not familiar with the voice commands that the MDX has. All manufacturers lock the navigation touch screen when the vehicle is in motion. All features for the navigation/touch screen are available via voice commands. Didn't your salesperson show you how to use the vehicle? At a minimum, read the owners manual. Educate yourself before giving false information.

By bgf18
on 09/22/14 19:54 PM (PDT)

Hey brother, that was a wonderfully informative comment, thank you! I appreciate you correcting MY assessment - clearly you are an automotive expert. My family and I also owe you a debt of gratitude as I have gone back, read the manual (as you suggested), memorized 150 voice commands and now no longer swerve dangerously while trying to turn my seat heater on. Oddly enough buddy, some days I don't want to talk to my car - maybe I want to push just ONE button, without looking, and get what I want. Is that asking too much? I don't think so. On a side note, a few folks at Consumer Reports (you may have hear of them) echoed my sentiments about the ridiculous touch screen interface. So, kick back, take your meds and go back to trolling political blogs...