Used 2011 Volvo XC70 Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used XC70 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons
4.5 out of 5 stars

Sleeper T6

neilxc70, 06/29/2011
T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

A fine car. Comfy, functional, powerful, attractive, high quality, safe, and nearly a bargain compared with other "wagons". It replaced my wife's 1996 850 wagon- which I never liked-- and we bought it with European delivery for about $40k (with climate, convenience, incl taxes and license). We put about 3k mi on it in Europe and averaged, according to the display, 24.4 mi/gal. (But $140 fill ups are very painful). The mpg was a pleasant surprise considering the EPA rating (22 mpg hwy) and some of the reviews. Effortless cruising at 200 kph on the Autobahn. Overall, almost as impressive as my BMW 335i E92 but they're much different beasts.

I LOVE my T6!

lindsayg, 05/06/2011
T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Volvo has read my mind- all my "issues" with my 2008 standard XC70 have been completely corrected in the 2011 T6 model. It is absolutely worth the extra $ for the turbo version. I traded in my 2008 and a 2008 BMW M3 on this Volvo and I don't miss the BMW at all because the new Volvo is so much fun to drive. The best of both worlds. Way to go, Volvo!

4.63 out of 5 stars

Consider the T6 if you're looking for an XC70

abmwfan, 12/19/2010
T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded a 2009 XC70 3.2 AWD for a 2011 XC70 T6. The turbo engine significantly improves this vehicle: quieter, smoother, more than adequate acceleration and no noticeable reduction in mpg. The 3.2 is slow, buzzy/noisy and it gets lousy mpg (worst of all worlds). You're always aware of the engine working at the limits of its capacity to move this heavy vehicle. And, while the T6's base price is $6k higher, it comes standard with AWD and premium/leather package which are nearly always added to the 3.2, so the "base" sticker price of the T6 and 3.2 are essentially the same before other options. Why not get the bigger engine?

Why I just purchased a second 2011 XC70 T6

Robert Zamenhof, 03/01/2016
T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Overall this is a pretty good car. Having had only Volvo wagons since 1980, I have to say that this 2011 seems more solid and heavy (in a good way) than any of my previous models or later models I have driven as loaners. Generally reliability has been good--with a few exceptions: At 85,000 miles, the engine started to use a lot of oil. Volvo examined it and replaced the entire engine. They told me that it was a bad batch of piston rings that was responsible, so this wasn't really a "bad" feature of the car. Volvo has never been able to properly balance the wheels, so I have learned to live with a slight steering wheel vibration at around 60 mph. They said the rims were distorted and sent them for repair; but that didn't help. Tire Rack replaced all 4 tires TWICE, with no improvement. The design of the rims is such that mud stays put and makes the balance problem markedly worse. I have never been totally happy with the brakes, but a recent full brake replacement has fixed this problem. There is a really stupid feature of the software: when the fog lights are on, they go out when high beams are selected, but don't come back on when you return to low beams. Interestingly, the second identical model I just purchased doesn't do this! Finally, I am singularly unimpressed with the headlights, specially the high beams. I've replaced the low-beam bulbs with high intensity "silver tip" bulbs, but see hardly any difference. There are no high intensity replacements for the high-beam bulbs, so when I drive at night plplllI envy the bright headlights of much cheaper cars. LlLL2nd Review 9/1/16: L having now owned my 2nd 2011 XC70 T6 for about 6 months, I can add a little to this review. The 2nd XC70 seems just as well built as my first one. I do, however, miss the folding rear-view mirrors and the front seats don'r seem to be quite as comfortable; but since the car has less than 30,000 miles, it could just be a break-in phenomenon. The headlights are markedly superior to those on the first car (see above review), even with standard bulbs, and there are no problems with wheel balance or braking (see above review). The silly fog-light phenomenon I described for the first car is also absent. In summary, the 2nd car is just as good as the first, and just as robust and "heavy" in a good way. I'd like to replace the first car with another 2011 (it has 130,000 miles); but I don't think I could find a low-mileage 2011 again. Since the first review (see above), the first car has had the following major repairs (all covered by an extended warranty policy): New A/C compressor, new motor for driver's side mirror (motor failed).

2 out of 5 stars

4.75 out of 5 stars

Very fun to dirve

hikerguy69, 01/01/2011
T6 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I had a 2005 Subaru Forrester XT with 94K miles, and decided it was time for a new vehicle . I wanted a car that was fun to drive, yet able to carry me, my friends and camping gear up Idaho forrest roads. I looked at 2010 Forrester and Outback, but settled on the XC 70 T6. It is very fun to drive. I love the comfortable seat and the relatively quiet AWD. The handling was excellent and the turbo had loads of pickup. I've only had it a week, but I am very happy.