Used 2000 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used S80 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...14

Pros
Cons

I love it so far!

bob494, 12/15/2006

2000 S80 2.9,155,800 miles,recent purchase based on styling and condition of car. My experience so far has been good,friends like it, runs and drives great. It seems these cars are bashed regularly here and I would like to speculate why this happens. Every car company,Honda and Toyota included,has good and bad examples. Your car can not treat you any better than you treat it. Also,not all dealership technicians are equally talented. If your local Volvo dealer can not fix your car to your satisfaction,find a good independent shop. If you drive your car very aggressively,ie hard braking and jack rabbit starts, expect extra repairs. Don't always blame the car for owner/driver shortcomings.

cruising comfort

coupedejour, 04/01/2002

I've had this car for 2 years and have only done regular maintenance and oil changes. Very comfortable car, great for road trips. I would definately recomend Volvo to anyone!

Love the S80-T6

turboman, 04/13/2002

Best car I've owned, and the first import. Only done the scheduled maintenance. During one service visit, replaced rattling non critical (therefore no recall) front suspension components that broke, covered by warranty.

A Little Disappointed

LGC, 04/14/2002

Car has been in the shop over 11 times in the year that I have had it. Little things, nothing real serious. Steering, vibrations, suspension. I will probably buy a BMW next.

Volvo you broke my heart (and my bank)

thomas, 12/17/2007

This was the third Volvo I have owned, have had nothing but great experiences in the past. Love the look and drive of this car, have had all maintenance performed on time at the dealership. This dealership's service dept. is ranked #1 in the country, now i know why, you see the folks there so much they get to be family. Have spent over $7,000 on repairs since I have owned the car, expensive replacements like the srs control unit, the abs control unit, the fire box (?), not to mention the usual wear and tear items. A car of this supposed quality that has been maintained exactly as recommended with the number of miles i have put on it should not have these types of problems - never again Volvo.

S80-T6

paulin, 04/21/2002

Overall the car is a great ride when it is working properly. I have had several problems w/ the suspension and struts and it has been a pain to fix since I purchased the vehicle in Baton Rouge and I live in New Orleans. The local dealership puts you at the end of the line to get anything repaired since the vehicle was not purchased there. This vehicle is overpriced and I would not recommend buying a new Volvo.

Poor Engine Performance

lbyers, 10/20/2008

My 2000 S-80 has 87,00 miles on it. I purchased it in Oct of 2000 with 18,000 miles on it. The computer was replaced about 2 years later and thats when the problems started. My car was never the same. Now I am having problems with the mass air flow sensor. Every 6 months it needs replaced. Yet when the remove the code from the computer, it runs fine for about 2 weeks. And now it is starting to have electrical issues, in addition to eating head and tail lights.

Wish we'd read the reviews first

Mrs. D, 10/18/2008

Loved the car overall but our '94 Jeep Cherokee with 230k miles is more dependable. After several repairs of one kind or another, she started hesitating. Trusted mechanic said it was throttle body covered by extended warranty so take it to them for free replacement. Local dealer charged $100 for diagnostic and said it needed $3000 head gasket. Not so local dealer charged $100 for diagnostic and said it needed a $2300 head gasket. Car currently sitting at trusted mechanic's lot waiting for retired Volvo mechanic who agrees it's the throttle body to come fix it. It's been 5 months. Tomorrow we're buying a Lexus.

Run!

shade56, 12/29/2008

Purchased this car for our daughter. Volvo=safe and reliable ,right? Wrong! This car had it's 60k check up before we purchased. One owner, immaculate care, extended warranty so every squeak was addressed and car had 59k on it. Took it in for timing chain replacement (knew it would be considerable), but two days before, ABS, check engine, dipped beam messages popped up, and the passenger window refused to roll up the last inch. Well, the dealer that gave the car a clean bill of health 4 mo. ago, now says it is going to take $7,000 to fix. Are you kidding me? Says our best bet is to trade it in...they will give us $3,500 for it. Oh, Ford owns Volvo now.

Do not buy this car

bruce, 03/04/2009

Bought this car new. What a piece of junk. Interior fell apart had to be reupholstered. At 50000 miles the head gasket blew $3,000 fix.Other problems to numerous to list est. repair costs at 60000 miles - $10,000.Just trying to save someone else the same mistake.

12345...14