Used 2006 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volvo S60 Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Good performance, bad steering
By andy

2006 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car looks great and performs great. The turbo gives a good boost of power for merging. The steering radius isn't awful but isn't good. You need to get used to having to turn the wheel more if you are transitioning from another car. It isn't terrible for making turns, etc., but for avoiding potholes and such you will need to jerk your wheel more. It isn't instant response like expected. The interior feels pretty high quality. It rattles a bit in my car and some carpeting on the front pillars are peeling off, but I attribute that to the age. There are strange decisions like how the back seats don't have door pockets, and the anti whiplash headrests for the front seats are too tall to give backseat passengers a good view out the front which is lame. There is little backseat legroom, but it's not absolutely awful. There are interesting features like auto folding back headrests, and an additional two cupholders if you unlatch the cupholder part of the center console (that's 2 cupholders in front + 2 extra cupholders in front + 2 in rear). There is some cheapness like if your model does not come with foglamps, the buttons are still there and there are cutouts for fog lamps on the outside which are empty. The controls could be less confusing. The radio is just unnecessarily complex and climate controls are unnecessarily complex, but once you figure them out it isn't too bad. I don't like how there is no knob to adjust radio stations, just an auto scan button. The volume knob on my vehicle is broken, but the steering wheel has them built in which is nice. Still surprising it broke. The non-premium sound system sucks. There is barely any base or clarity, and my 18 year old Buick Century's stereo was 4x better with stock stereo (until it blew). Very disappointing. The leather seats are really comfortable and you get a lot of adjustments including lumbar support for front, and they don't look too bad for the age (just a few aesthetic cracks). I don't understand how the trunk really works. Sometimes pressing on the handle to unlatch the trunk works, sometimes it doesn't. I do not like how when you unlock the car it doesn't flash the lights. The key fob will work from afar but you can never tell if it really unlocked, but it has a neat remote light activation feature. The headlights will turn off if the car is off regardless of the knob position, and can't be manually turned back on as far as I can tell. Only the high beams work when off. It isn't a big deal, but it's a strange decision. The headlights/tail lights should stay on and turn off automatically after a few minutes for safety in my opinion. The glovebox is too small, and the center console storage is deep but not long enough. The wiper controls don't make a ton of sense. You have several positions for the wiper stalk, custom speed position where you use the knob to adjust speed, low speed preset position, and high speed preset position. It appears to make sense once you learn it, but the custom speed position sets a max wiper speed and you must use the low speed or high speed preset if you need it faster than what the wiper speed is when the knob is turned as far as it can go. I don't like how the windshields are designed. They are "set into" the car. That is, they have a raised border on the left and right edges, so removing snow is a pain because the snow gets stuck on the edges. The door handles are the old design and can freeze, although the doors on this car are pretty well designed because they don't really freeze. I do not like how the access door to the trunk from the backseat is designed. The release button for the trunk access door is in the trunk, and it opens into the rear seat instead of into the trunk, covering the armrest when it is down. And if you need to close the armrest, you need to close the trunk access door too and you can't unlatch it again without going into the trunk. The trunk has pretty good space, by the way. For a car all about safety, I'm surprised foglights, tire pressure sensors, and stability control aren't standard, although there is a plethora of air bags and neat anti-whiplash front seats. By the way, the car is pretty safe, although it is not as safe in side impacts as some other non-safety-centric cars of the same era ironically. Repairs are probably expensive, but this car seems to have an okay if not good reputation for reliability.

saved me and my fiancees life!
By alex

2006 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

me and my fiancee were driving when a tire blew out at 45 and shot us to the left we hit a dirt and rock embankment, went up and flipped over on the roof and continued down the road about 200ft. we both walked out of this car with nothing but sore bodys. this car saved our lifes. i will deffinetly be purchasing a nother one!

Best car I have ever owned.
By Pleased Volvo Owner

2006 Volvo S60 Sedan T5 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought a Volvo s60 T5 for the its safety rating, and it delivered. I was recently in a horrific car accident whilst driving this vehicle and my son and I were able to walk out of the car. The front end was completely smashed in. This car was so reliable, and it performed as if it came off the lot that day. The seats are hands down the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. When Volvo says, "Volvo for Life," they aren't kidding. This car saved my life, and I will always choose Volvo. I cannot wait to get another one.

10/10 Would buy again
By Grayson T

2006 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This review is coming from a previous BMW 7 series owner. This car in short is reliable, safe, extremely comfortable, great on gas and more! I purchased this car at 163,000 miles. Right after i purchased the vehicle, i drove 12 hours straight, and i instantly noticed how comfortable the car is. The seats are great for long drives. It also is great on gas. Got 30 MPG on the highway doing about 80 most of the time, and about 24-26 MPG city. The stereo is amazing, i ussualy listen at hugh volumes and it handles it well. As far as overall reliability, it has been great! Only a few minor fixes. This car does have a few minor annoyances, like the wood steering wheel has started to crack at the top (just surface cracks), and there are a few rattles from the dash when small bumps are hit. Overall this car is amazing. It drives great, super easy steering, easy breaks, and it accelerates exceptionally. I would reccomend this car to anyone.

GREAT RIDE...DEPENDABLE
By safety proved itself, unfortunately

2006 Volvo S60 Sedan 2.5T 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My Volvo 940 sedan was 20 years old @330,000 miles, and the final decision to retire it was not passing the Smog Test w/o $. So, being that Volvo had me impressed, I found a very low mileage S60 (depreciation and parking lot door dings were decision metrics) and jumped on it. This car has been amazing. Not one day has gone by that I regret it. It's sporty, fast, and rides like a glider. It's roomy, comfortable, and so far, just the consumables. Yeah, BMW might have the status, but I'm really happy with my Volvo S60. THIS IS A REVISION in lieu of my accident post.
UPDATE: Jan 2018- Still in LOVE w/ my S60. The headlight replacement is a tight area to work w/ but hubby invented a tool to make it easier. Also, should you own a black vehicle (like my S60) and you scratch the paint, a permanent marker and car wax will work, or black nail polish and a clear nail polish, depending on the depth of the scratch. My S60 has been terrific, and we're still having an "affair".

SYNOPSIS of original post
This car was hit my another vehicle that lost control do to flip flops getting suck on the accelerator, and I thought my car was totaled, but to my surprise, just bumper and panel damage. I was surprised how well this vehicle did. I saw the Camry wrapped around a tree (she was lucky-alright), the stop sign down, and the violent hit my vehicle took, and the minimal damage, and my elderly mother and I had no injuries. Truly, this car did amazing. This is the only time in my 23 Volvo brand history, I had to find out, and this was not a minor accident to other vehicles. BTW, Volvo created the collapsing zones in vehicles. Great engineering and what a safe car. Now granted, physics played a role.