2016 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Poor quality, defective electronics, bad dealers
By George

2016 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

It's hard to enjoy a brand new car that is riddled with problems. My 2015 Touareg only has 12,000 miles on the odometer, and I've been to the dealership 6 times in 12 months of ownership for faulty parts and electrical problems. Everything from a faulty break actuator to a Nav and Entertainment system that resets itself to factory settings every few weeks with no warning— erasing all of the stored data and radio stations. I get warning messages that I watched three VW technicians stand around looking at only to tell me "that's a new one, we’ve never seen that before". I’ve had a faulty air conditioner fan motor, and my HVAC occasionally blows heat when it's 80 degrees outside, and it's set to 65 with the A/C on. At least once a week (not an exaggeration) it simply doesn't start when the ignition button is pressed, and instead an error saying "side light on" appears — that’s the one the technicians can’t “diagnose”. I'm stuck taking UBERs to work because VW refuses to provide loaner cars for warranty repairs because of "cost cutting" according to my VW dealer. I’ve called VW of America several times and they opened a case with VW’s customer care team which got me nowhere, I was told "there is pending litigation, so we can not address a buyback for your car."

I'll never do business with VW Audi again, horrible dealers, terrible service centers that can't fix the electrical problems this brand new car has. Our other car is a Lexus which is impeccable. We have had three other Lexus vehicles, each from a different dealership, and they all treat you like royalty. If you call Lexus corporate, you're met with customer service people that actually care about their customers, they always follow up on customer feedback. VW Audi doesn't show any concern or respect for their customers, yet people flock to them. Buying the VW was the worst mistake I ever made. Everyone told me it was a Porsche Cayenne light, it's more like a cheap Fiat with all the trips I've made to the dealership with problems that are still not fixed. I’m hopeful that the current TDI lawsuit results in a buyback for this car. Paying over $60k for a brand new car that you have to worry about starting in the morning in unacceptable. Even more unacceptable is the way VW treats their customers at both the dealership and corporate level.

Great Car
By Ee Lee

2016 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Sport w/Technology 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Good car! Got a great lease deal!

Touring in the Touareg is Sensational
By Liam

2016 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I went for the fully loaded TDI Executive and glad I did - it was the only one on the lot and I negotiated a reasonable deal - not great but reasonable despite the noise around emissions that I am sure others are guilty of and that VW will resolve. This machine is very smooth and quite for a diesel and has awesome power and torque matched with an excellent 4 wheel drive system and super smooth 8 speed transmission. Interior fit and finish is AUDI like - well beyond the perception of the VW brand. Frankly very happy with the vehicle and dealer experience.

Unapologelic Owner
By Dakar 09/10/11

So let me say this is the third Touareg I have owned. I traded my 2002 for a 2011. Totaled the 2011 and decided to buy a 2015 but there wasn't one available in the color I wanted. So I got a 2016 TDI one month before "Dieselgate" kicked off. When I pulled off the lot I was in sport mode and I was thrilled.I'm at 4500 miles and it is has been great not seeing many other cars like my own on the road. I do get harasses by friends and my wife who thinks my employer will move me to California where I'll be forced to sell. This Executive edition VW TDI is one of the few that got off the boat prior to being pulled off the market in the US. That's to bad for those who may have wanted a great diesel at not such a bad price.