2018 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

No Go
By Frank Bailey

2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

The Tiguan has NO go power whatsoever. If you need to merge onto the freeway or get the heck out of the way of a truck, good luck. After hitting the gas, it will take a good 2 seconds for the thing to decide to go. Wish I had never bought it. Air conditioner is barely effective.

Greatly improved Tiguan
By Bruce

2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've read the other reviews and have to say that I'm not running into any of the problems with the Tiguan that some others have commented on. The auto wipers work fine... there's an adjustment on the top of the wiper stalk for the sensitivity of the wipers in auto that works just fine. The engine doesn't hesitate or lag from a stop OR when I want to switch into a faster lane on the highway.. I tend to think that the drivers have to get used to how the transmission works.. I have a dual clutch automated manual in my last car and the hesitation was much worse with that set up. Maybe because I was used to that set up, it makes the 8 speed automatic feel much more responsive to me. I just love the safety features. I really like the parking assist with the 360 degree view or my car.. I can park pretty much anywhere and be confident that I won't hit anything or even come close to banging into anything.. (yes I've backed into something in my last car that had no cameras and a lousy view of just about anything from inside. The deal maker for me was the design and the 6 year 72 Thousand mile bumper to bumper warranty that the VW comes with the purchase . Last car I had to purchase an extended warranty for 7 years and 100 thousand miles, bumper to bumper no deductible coverage and a 1700 price..and I sure am glad I did with that car.. (to remain unnamed but it wasn't a VW) All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase..

I like the Tiquan
By Buddy

2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Leased the car in May, so far so good. Handles and drives better than the Murano that we had before. More comfortable interior. Pick up is a bit of an issue, but using the sport mode allows one to get onto the highway with no issues. u

First Time VW
By Andy B

2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

So far I am very pleased with my 2018 Tiguan. Love the style, comfort, and overall cool of the car. Reminds me a bit of an X5 not on steroids. Biggest downside for me is it is not a 6 cylinder. How I miss a 6 cylinder's power. If it came in a 6 cylinder and did not have the 8 gear shift this probably would be rated a 10 for me. The 4 cylinder is just not enough power to my liking but what it has done is make me drive a lot more conservative, be it accelerating or jetting around town. The 8 gear shift is a bit annoying in that it shifts so much through acceleration to cruise. But I guess its an efficiency thing. The other super annoying feature is the auto stop shut off. Oh that is SO annoying for your car to start and stop. But hence Praise God they gave you the option to shut it off manually each time you drive! Hallelujah. That feature on cars today is super annoying! So so far I'm a month into it and I love my first VW and the model I chose. I would highly recommend if in the market like we were for a medium size SUV similar to an Acura RDX or Subaru., which were our next choices before VW.

Quality of Build
By Lee Puddefoot

2018 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned multiple VW Models from GTI and currently own a 2017 Passat, 2013 CC and now the 2018 Tiguan. I gave the 2013 CC to my son as he got his license and to be honest the CC has a stage 2 tune and cannot be compared to the other cars. The 1.8T in the Passat has better performance than the 2.0T in the Tiguan, but the CC just seems to be built better and not sure whether it came from Germany is the reason rather than the plant in Tennessee. I do the like the space that the Tiguan has and great for carrying people and golf stuff and it rides very smooth. The computer is telling me that I need an oil change already in 12 days. Did VW switch to every 5000 miles instead of 10,000. I have always had great service from VW of Fort Myers and they take very good care of me and my cars and the plus with the Tiguan is the long warranty.