Used 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

Used Tiguan for Sale
Select your model:
12345...28

Pros
Cons

Getting used to it!

Jody, 11/22/2017
SEL Premium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

This is my first VW since the late 80's. Must say, they've improved the interior! Everything is sleek and attractive. I do have a rattle, but haven't been able to get to the dealership yet. Annoying! The road noise when going slow speeds or engine noise when accelerating is noticeable, but highway speed is quiet. There are too many neat little things to list - but here are a few: the side mirrors roll up when the car is locked (no parking lot dings!), the side mirrors go down when reversing for better visibility; adaptive cruise is outstanding!; the sill of the door lights up so you can see to get in; the headlights light to the right or left when turning so you can what you are turning into!!!! On the driving side, some reviews mentioned it being 'under powered'; I thought that, but then realized I just had to get used to the turbo lag. In Sport mode, the lag is gone and accelerates fine. It certainly accelerates a LOT better than my 4 cylinder Subaru Outback! The shifting is a bit rough in Normal or Eco; again, Sport mode smooths it out. My fuel economy is much better than advertised - about 31 highway and 34 city! and it is true mileage; I've calculated it when refueling. And a 72 month warranty! Do wish I had a green one instead of grey, but all in all, a purchase I would make again!

You want speed? Sport mode!

JH Reese, 02/21/2018
SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Before I say anything else, to those who complain about acceleration, I have two words: Sport mode. Your Tiguan defaults to Eco mode when you turn it on. So, if you want to jump off of the line, when you shift into drive, give the shifter an extra pull down and, voila, your Tiguan is a precision tuned acceleration machine. Now go forth and own the road! Pros: Pretty much everything but the headlights; Cons: The only real criticism of the vehicle that I have are the headlights. The brights are acceptable, but the normal headlights do not illuminate far enough ahead, in my humble opinion.

best compact suv for 30k

Adrian, 09/30/2017
SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I did a lot of research for a compact suv and the last 2 standing were the tiguan and the mazda cx5. While the cx5 drives a little nicer and has a sportier look, the tiguan is more comfortable (by far) and a lot roomier. First test drive with the tiguan was in normal mode and I almost ran back to the mazda dealership to get the cx5. But once in sport mode, the tiguan is driving quite nicely. You can also customize it any way you want: steering, suspension, transmission, etc. The deciding factor in the end was the warranty: 6yrs / 72k miles! Plus I got a great price through edmunds ($2.5k under msrp for a SE 4Motion with sunroof) and 1.9% apr with vw finance. The real life mpg is great (better than advertised): for the first 100+ miles, 70% highway, it shows 30mpg. All in all, definitely an suv you should consider. If you live in the Chicagoland area, I had a great experience with the PUGI vw dealership in Downers Grove. They do go the extra mile to earn your business.

Tiguan over Outback

Windy City driver, 03/27/2018
SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

For about a year I had planned to purchase a Subaru Outback. My wife and I already own a Crosstrek and love it but I wanted something slightly larger for my next vehicle. I had already driven the Outback and had all intentions of purchasing it but decided to go to the Chicago auto show as a formality. While there we checked out a few other SUV’s and then happened to see the new Tiguan as we left the Subaru display. The new style caught my eye and had to check it out further. We test drove it while we were at the show and I was very critical as to quickly rule it out of consideration and go back to my Outback, but couldn’t. For the next week I researched and compared the Tiguan and Outback as to make a final decision and I decided to purchase my first VW. I’ve had my Tiguan SE with 4motion now for about five weeks now and have put about 2,000 on the odometer and loving it. I mostly drive on the highway and put about 25,000 mile on an odometer each year. I was originally somewhat concerned with the Tiguan being a new model year along with some of the criticism I had read about it’s performance but I’m happy to say that I'm impressed. The interior trim has an expensive feel to it much more so than most other SUV's in it's class. Over all it has a very solid feel to it with doors that have a firm and secure feel. As for performance, it has more than enough acceleration to easily merge into fast moving highway traffic and also has more than enough to pass slower moving drivers. The ride in both city any highway is very comfortable. The only complaint that I can come up with if you can call it that is that the transmissions has a bit of a hard shifting pattern for the first two or three gears when accelerating from a standstill but nothing that is uncomfortable. The Tiguan engine and transmission also seems to be a bit louder than most of the SUV's with CVT transmissions I've been accustomed to, but again nothing extreme. I'm being a bit critical and am extremely happy with the Tiguan so far.

Stylish and modern

gbdito, 01/08/2018
SEL Premium 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

The car looks very sleek, the headlights with unique signature daytime running lights give it a confident and modern look. Interior build quality is excellent (front), more basic in the rear. Infotainment and controls are understandable and very easy to use. It is loaded with the latest safety tech (crash prevention systems and driver assistance features). Seats are very comfortable. 19" wheels look great and do not compromise ride comfort by much (compared to 17" and 18" on other trim levels). Fender Audio system is good but not great. Digital cockpit is cool and useful. Panoramic roof with ambient lights and overall interior ambient lighting is all LED and look amazing, especially shining down on the storm gray giving it a lounge feel. Some squeaks on the exterior b-pillar trim can be heard when handling the doors but nothing dry lube can't fix in 2 minutes. The cargo area (5 seater) is perfect for most people's needs. Easy open/power lift gate work great.

12345...28