Used 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

Used Tiguan for Sale
Select your model:
12345...6

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

It's Not the VW of old

R Tanguay, 08/25/2018
Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Take it for a long test drive. Hills and traffic. The 6 speed transmission can make driving less than intuitive. Constant up & down shifting is traffic was a constant source of irritation. In Aug 2019, we traded it for a 6 cyl 2017 Subaru Outback w/ eyesight and a nice smooth transmission.

Steer Clear - Turbo Died at 65,000 miles

J Walsh, 07/31/2020
S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Car is only 3 years old with 65,000 miles. Turbo failed. It cost $3,000 to repair.

3 out of 5 stars

This is not the car for me.

KatieTR, 06/28/2018
S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My husband leased the 2018 Tiguan & brought it home as a surprise. It’s a nice looking car and it drives well. It’s the day to day stuff that I hate. I have 2 kids in car seats. They are in the middle row (we have a third row). This renders the 3rd row basically useless. The only access to the third row is scooching and climbing in through the back hatch, because the access from the back seat isn’t possible with car seats installed. The design of the cab makes me and my two daughters get carsick FAR more than in any other vehicle I’ve ever been in. I’m talking almost daily. There is also something about the design that makes the sound when you open and windows almost deafening. It’s such a battle to get the windows all set at levels that can reduce that sound, that it’s just not worth the effort, so we miss out on being able to drive with the windows down almost ever. The auto-shut down is a nice feature for the environment, but it is more of a pain in this car than any other I’ve driven with a similar feature. You have to manually restart the car a LOT. The back area that is shown to be super spacious in commercials would only be so if you also put down the two middle seats. I like to refinish and make furniture, and I can’t even fit a small dresser in the back of this, which has made my hobby about impossible to work with. The back area also slopes toward the hatch door, meaning I have had multiple jugs of OJ, milk, some bottle of root beer, and several other things come crashing and exploding on to the ground when I’ve gotten home from grocery shopping. My phone can’t sit on the passenger seat without the seatbelt alarm ringing the whole time. It’s just a lot of little pain in the butt things that add up to me being really disappointed in this car. I’m extremely frustrated with it. We are a VW family. My Passat is now my husband’s daily driver, and he traded his Jetta wagon for this. I can just about guarantee that I will be looking at a different make when this lease is up or I figure out how to terminate it.

VW is better than this.

JPotter, 01/25/2018
SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

VW has fallen short with the new and improved Tiguan. Where to start? Does anyone make a navigation system that is intuitive? I now use google maps exclusively after wasting my time trying to get directions using the Tiguan nav system. The turbo engine has periods of fairly good performance interrupted by unsuspecting high revs with accompanying noise. The transmission is more in line with what you could have expected from a Yugo. It can’t seem to know if it should be in first, second, or third gear. This is very annoying. The entire driving experience is not what I expected from VW. I am disappointed. I am also disappointed that I didn’t buy the Subaru Forresterwhen 8 had a chance.

Just what I wanted!

larry bilardi, 08/17/2017
Wolfsburg Edition 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Tiguan is comfortable and sporty.

5 out of 5 stars